Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is it?

Posted by jannie (My Page) on
Thu, May 25, 06 at 12:30

Do you ever see something lying on the floor that you just don't know what it is but it must be something important? Like a screw, it must have fallen out of something, maybe it was holding something together. Or a plastic door that looks like it came off the battery compartment of a remote control? What do you do with these things? I put all of them on a shelf in my bedroom. Then when I notice the leg on the coffee table is loose or the downstairs TV remote is missing batteries, I know where the part is!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is it?

Happens all the time. That's what the junk drawer is for!
But sadly I don't have enough actual drawers for a junk drawer, so my "junk drawer" is a basket in the study.

I currently am pondering the origin of a small wooden piece that looks like it should be the leg of something. To make it more interesting, it'd stained a dark blue/purple. No idea what it's for. I'll keep it for a while, at least until the junk drawer gets full and needs purging.

o

LOL, those are the things I obliviously vacuum up and then panic because what if it was something important? So far, I think these small mystery pieces have been mainly Legos, and I haven't found anything lacking screws or small parts in a long time.

o

The only things I vacuum up are pennies and bobbie pins, because my girls are now teenagers. I once vacuumed up a Bic pen. It got stuck and caused the biggest clog in my hose!

o

This happens to me all the time. I think I've kept things for years, just in case. Sad, I know. They start off in my junk drawer, then eventually get moved to a box where the tools are in the hall closet.

o

Goes to a plate I keep on top of the microwave. Sometimes it takes a month before I pitch it and sometimes a year. I must never find the battery covers for the remotes or games. All of ours have duct tape holding in the batteries. sigh.

I no longer allow myself to have a true junk drawer because I just just filled it up with, gasp!, tons of junk!

Gloria

o

This reminds me of the time I was visiting my sister--she had to run off for something or other--I was needing a rubber band. I went into her junk drawer and found a whole slew of every imaginable kind of rubber band. Some were too old to be any good--so I threw them out and separated the good ones into categories and then put them into zip lock bags.

Time was going by and I was getting bored. I decided I would surprise her by straightening her junk drawer. She had these tie bag things scattered all over her junk drawer. I gathered up a small bunch and secured them all with a rubber band, and threw most of them away. Thinking--with all these ties in this drawer, they're just in your way.

Later that day, dear sissy went into her junk drawer and let out a scream--I should have known that ol sis had a thing for ties. I went into the garbage and recovered all the ties. Now I know where I get it--it's in the blood.

o

I kept a leather medallion for YEARS and YEARS not knowing what it went to and finally decided to toss it. Sure enough, within months of tossing it, I finally found where it belonged. It had fallen off the leg of an antique table :(

Big mistake. Now I have a perpetual junk box. Should become an interesting conversation matter years after I depart this dear ol' earth.

o

I hang rubber-bands on a doorknob in my kitchen. Everyone knows where to grab one. The old ones get dry and crusty,don't stretch or work well. I throw those out once in a while.

o

The things I forget I had until we move. The movers pack them, each little tiny thing from the drawer wrapped in a whole sheet of packing paper. Such a joy to unpack them! I'm some have been accidently thrown out with the packing paper. The ones I need someday, no doubt.

o

stephanie, I was once packed by professional movers and it was a nightmare afterwards. Every single butter dish top was wrapped in six sheets of packing material - all graduated - so you had to peel each sheet off. I ended up with more packing material than I had in items. The worst part? Tennis elbow for 2 solid years from all that unpacking. I was one shot away from scheduling surgery. Lucky for me that last shot did the trick.

This time I'm packing myself. It's much more organized than a professional would do and should be very simple to unpack.

o

I have a "Parts & Pieces" basket.

I come across a mystery item and just toss it into the basket.

I keep it on top of a bookcase, so my kids don't go digging into it.

Amazing what one finds when one "shops" the basket. So many times it holds the missing part of something.

Michele

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here