Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving sale?

Posted by donnagwd (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 12:06

Dh has now decided we should have a moving sale. In some ways, it's easier for him to give up things if he thinks he is receiving $$ for it. We cleaned out the garage yesterday decided what was "keep" and was was "sale" and they away a lot of stuff too. It's appealing in some ways - get someone else to carry off what we don't need and get a few dollars for it.

I told him we need to "price to sell," not to make money, and that I will set up a charitable pick up for what's left on the Monday after a Saturday sale if possible.

It really gave me the shakes, tho, to put the sale stuff back in the garage. I'm afraid he will renege on selling!

Any other advice? A dfriend is suggesting we use one of the estate sale companies - you can leave what you don't want in the house and they come in and sell it. We don't think we'll have all that many big items that would make it worthwhile for the estate sale co, and also, we need to repaint and repair and get our house on the market as soon as we're out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving sale?

Before you go through the hassle of a yard sale, you might want to decide if it makes sense financially to donate the items and take a tax deduction.

o

I think if the work and hassle of having a yard sale is the only thing that will motivate your DH to let go of stuff, go for it!!

The other thing that sometimes helps people let go of stuff is if they feel it's going "to a good home" (sort of like kittens).

You might be able to find someone to fake the "good home," especially if you won't be found out (and he won't start hoarding plastic containers because your "friend at work" might need more of them).

o

Graywings, I'm a CPA IRL - if all things were equal and I could get someone to pick it all up I'd take the deduction in a heartbeat. OTOH, dh does find it easier to let go if he thinks he can sell something.

I go back and forth, hot and cold on it. I think the worst part is that I end up doing most of the prep...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here