Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

Ive just been shoving stuff in boxes and drawers

talley_sue_nyc
16 years ago

In the last 3 weeks, weÂve had two people pop up out of the blue to look at our apartment. Since we're not officially on the market, and we've been busy (and lazy), we havenÂt been strict w/ ourselves (and esp. not with the kids), so the tidying up has taken a lot of time, and IÂve been resorting to just taking an entire stack of papers or stuff and shoving it into a box or a drawer. These last 3 weeks have been crunch time at work (closing the summer issue), so I havenÂt been home much, and there have been OTHER things to eat up the time (like folding laundry).

Lots of it is paperwork that needs action, but I havenÂt had (or havenÂt taken) time to photocopy, mail, whatever. So IÂm a little worried about getting back to it, etc.

And a lot of it is stuff that just can go out, but IÂm not SURE about that, so I canÂt just toss it; I need time to work through the stack.

So, guess what IÂm going to be doing for the next month? I think IÂm going to try to "do a dozen" out of each drawer. And maybe restrict it to paperwork.

Because the OTHER type of thing that is in these drawers and boxes is stuff of the kids that I donÂt know where to put--the cloth doll she made for an English project; the Pinewood Derby cars from this year and last; the game from the math project.

And I think if I try to deal w/ those, IÂll short-circuit. ItÂll take too long; itÂs not an easy puzzle to figure out, since every available shelf in the house is full of stuff. So I think IÂll just let those things "float" in the box or drawer, and deal with papers only.

And if I set the bar low (12 pieces of paper required; any more is gravy), itÂll keep me from getting overwhelmed at the multistep process needed to handle some of them.

Maybe I should use this thread to check in each day, to keep myself from chickening out.

Comments (63)

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have a consolate cabinet (just doors--no drawers) from Home Decorators, and it's sturdy enough, and I like it. Not heavy duty, but not the flimsiest

Home Decorators doesn't sell fine furniture, but it's OK. Filing cabinets, however, need to be stronger than other furniture because they move so much and have so many parts.

I think a skinnier piece would be much sturdier--the cross-bracing would be more effective. But I still think a real filing cabinet is the thing to get.

When I'm sick of publishing, I'm going to make quality filing cabinets that only *look* like wood (but a good fake) for people like you. And me.

The function of my office-quality cabinet is so satisfying that I'll live with its straightforward looks,and any inconvenience it keepign it in the bedroom where it's less noticeable.

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Thanks, Talley Sue. Count me in, too. I need to stop playing around on the computer so much. I've managed to avoid paying bills for a bit, so I'm going to get up off my you know what and get busy.

Tina

• liz_h
    16 years ago

I now have a real office, but still have piles and piles of papers in there, and some existing files that really need to be purged. I have a Very Ugly but serviceable 4 drawer file cabinet, which should be out of there by the end of the year. Anyway, I'm in. Instead of 12 pieces, my minimum is 15 minutes - starting tomorrow.

One other thing about installing full-extension glides. Be sure the cabinet won't tip over with the new glides. It's always a good idea to not open more than one drawer at a time in a file cabinet.

• quiltglo
    16 years ago

OK, I set the timer for 15 min. and over half of the pile was either put away or pitched. Lots of field trip notices which are already over. I did find the permission slip I need to send back next week. If I do this Sat. and Sun. I should be finished.

Gloria

• Plow_In
    16 years ago

OK - in addition to the 6 mags yesterday, I tossed 4 more today, 2 pks face cream, 2 pair panty hose, 1 blouse (hated this thing, and never wore it), 7 socks, 2 bras, 2 slips (this left a nice space in the back of the drawer, and I thought: now what can I put in this neat space, until I remembered that you guys said not to fill the "holes") Also managed to put 2 books back where they belong (does that count?) Will try to do better tomorrow, especially with paper. My computer room is loaded with piles of paper -which can't be tossed, but has to be entered in computer first.

Have to attack the summer clothes - I'm sure that some of them won't fit. But I am definitely going to join you on the "12-toss" paper thing - I so need that!

• teacats
    16 years ago

In our guest room/home office -- we had California Closets "do" the closet -- and create strong shelving to hold our "file crates"

Those file crates are basically plastic "milk-crate" boxes that hold the home office files (two) -- and the Home Applicance info (one) -- and the Canadian file (one) -- and one for Home Decor pictures (clipping from magazines) and one for Food Recipes.

Six plastic crates in total -- and trust me! -- they work SO well for us. Not too big -- and portable. So I do the filing sessions (we have a "File" inbox sitting by the crates) on the kitchen table.

Just a suggestion for an alternative to file cabinets .....

• harriethomeowner
    16 years ago

I'm working on something along these lines, too. I finally came up with a plan to get our papers organized, which involved buying a two-drawer file cabinet that would hold legal-sized files. Last weekend I got all the files moved from the basement up to our designated office room and into the cabinet, and I started labeling the folders and putting away all the paper that had been piling up for the past few months. I'm glad we're not trying to sell our house or anything! That room is still a disaster area. So I'm going to go in there right now and put some more things away. I'll give myself an hour or less.

• jannie
    16 years ago

I rtemoved and tossed trwelve items from one big dresser drawer. I won't list them, stuff like empty bags and a box of licorice gumdrops. Th drawer is nowhere near finished, but at least there's breathing room and I can now close it easily!

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Okay, I pulled out all the bills and got things organized. I'm thinking I need to add some more structure to the process. Will analyze the paperwork and bill-paying tasks and provide a regular space for everything, probably a folder in my file box. It makes me feel uneasy when I put stacks of stuff in a drawer because there's no system to it. I fear I may forget to pay something by the due date -- you know, out of sight, out of mind.

Tina

• teacats
    16 years ago

Well done Jannie!!!

Yes -- Tina -- getting a "system" organized to handle the "Accounts" from the mail coming in the door -- to stashing it until you can get to it -- and then filing the paperwork -- and then mailing things out on time is really crucial!!

So many tightly dated and timed items these days -- and being late on bills can REALLY cost you some serious money!

As out mail comes in the front door -- it gets sorted right away -- and Bills-to-Be-Paid go into a slot in my organizer by the phone in the kitchen. Filing-Items get taken to the home office and stashed in the Filing Tray -- and things get shredded. The organizer in the kichen also has a tiny drawer that hold the stamps AND the return address labels too.

As mentioned above -- filing is done on the kitchen table -- and the paperwork is filed into the plastic milk-crate boxes.

Haven't set up an electronic pay-billing system yet -- plan to investigate that later in the year.

• minet
    16 years ago

Tina, I have a spreadsheet I made on Excel many years ago and have used ever since, modifying it occasionally. It's 7 columns wide and a page long of rows.

**Column 1: Description (mortgage, water/sewer, electric, gas, Visa, etc.)
    **Column 2: Total of bill $$$
    **Column 3: Minimum due $$$
    **Column 4: Date due
    **Column 5: Amount paid $$$
    **Column 6: Date paid
    **Column 7: Reference (check #, paid online, paid by phone, etc.)

It took some time to get set up, but now I've used it for years. I print them off and three-hole punch them, then keep them in a binder.

In that binder I also have a couple of those fabric pencil pouches with see-through covers, and that's where I stash the bills. Open the envelope, recycle unnecessary paper, and then stick the rest in the pouch. I mark down the info in columns 2,3 and 4, and then set the binder in an easy to find place.

My husband knows about this system and has been able to pay bills when I've been away or whatever.

Ideally, I would open the bills and mark them down on the spreadsheet as soon as received them in the mail (on in my email for online billing), but sometimes I let them pile up on the kitchen counter then do them all at once.

That is bad. I have a good system for me, and I should use it properly. Open the bills right away, mark them down, and put them in the pouches. Pay them once a week.

If you don't have Excel you could do a similar thing easily on another program. This also lets me track several months bills easily, for comparison of costs.

• minet
    16 years ago

To clarify ...

Column 1 of my spreadsheet is already filled in with all the bills I expect to pay each month. I put the descriptions in when I make the spreadsheet on the computer. Group them together - utilities next to each other, credit cards next to each other, etc.

So if I notice that one row across doesn't have any info in it, then that means the bill has gone missing and I need to find it.

There's always a lot of extra blank rows at the bottom that I can use for unusual or once-in-awhile bills. Just write those descriptions in.

• liz_h
    16 years ago

minet - I used to print off a form like that - on my Commodore 64! It was a great system, though I only noted the date, amount paid & check number. One time my bank screwed up and didn't make a scheduled payment to the electric company. They wanted me to pay a $200 deposit! I took the sheet in with me to explain what happened & ask them to waive the deposit requirement. She agreed, and told me "Anybody who's that organized and even tracks with a computer I don't worry about." This was over 20 years ago, & my organizational habits have been less than impressive at various times since.

• liz_h
    16 years ago

to show you this cabinet. In our old house, we had one of these on each side of our bed. The cabinets are each 7' tall and 3' wide. These were our dressers, but we didn't want to keep any clothes in the bedroom of this house. (due to dust allergies)

I now have these in my office/hobby room. One is for play stuff and one is for business. The bottom section of my "business" cabinet will be reconfigured to have 2 hanging drawers instead of the 4 drawers that are there now. Getting DH to do this will be my reward for when I finally get my office together! There are more piles and boxes of stuff than shown here. My task is to get the stuff into drawers, rather than out!

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It makes me feel uneasy when I put stacks of stuff in a drawer because there's no system to it. I fear I may forget to pay something by the due date -- you know, out of sight, out of mind.

this is my fear as well, which is why I'm determined to weed through all those piles in the boxes and drawers. I did 12 on Saturday, and blew Sunday off (sorry!)

Back on track for today--but I think I'll use down time at work, bcs I've got insurance reimbursements, etc., to file.

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Okay, I have paid all of my bills and filed everything away. Yay!

I'm going to look at using a system such as Minet described to give myself some more structure to this process. I think it will give me a better big picture view of our finances, as well as track where/how we spend our money and run our household. I'm wondering, Minet, whether you pay every bill that has arrived that week when you sit down on your bill-paying day, or whether you postpone paying bills based on their due date?

Tina

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, I did my 12--filed for insurance reimbursements, etc. Some need to then be refiled. And I put some off, bcs I need more info; I'll try to get that tomorrow.

• minet
    16 years ago

Tina, I'm more haphazard about paying the bills than my system would suggest. I don't sit down to pay them every week, as I should. I usually remember to look in the binder every couple of weeks and see what's up next.

What I like best about my binder is that even if I misplace a bill, when I look at my chart I'll see that I haven't paid it, rather than just forgetting about it.

I know someone who sits down with all her financial papers every Sunday night and goes through them. Balances the checkbook if a new statement has come in, pays bills, files receipts, etc. I should make that a habit for myself.

• Plow_In
    16 years ago

I have a book-type checkbook, and I put the bills in there as soon as they arrive. Once a week I sort by due-date, and pay 5 days before that date (unless it goes to the next town). Paid bills go upstairs for my DH to sort for tax purposes, & he shreds the rest. It's the other stuff that sits around until I decide what to do about it. And that paper stuff is what spreads all over the dining room table, the couch, the TV table, and sometimes the floor. This is not a good system. I'm trying.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well, not only did I handle 12 pieces of paper during the day (submitted claims for reimbursement), but I probably processed 24 of them last night while supervising homework.

Lots of them just went in the garbage; others got filed. And a few got put back in the box to deal w/ them later, LOL! I can only do a couple of complicated ones in a day.

How are the rest of you doing?

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

plow--last week you wrote:
    Also managed to put 2 books back where they belong (does that count?)

yes, that counts! That's most of what clutter is, at least in my house--stuff that didn't get put back where it belongs.

I did another dozen last night; most of it in the garbage.

I hope to do a few more "claims for reimbursement" today.

• minet
    16 years ago

I'm on Day 11 of this wretched cold. Didn't have colds like this in SoCal - thought it might be allergies, but have decided it's a long cold. I have a doctor's appt this morning to try to get it figured out.

I haven't been doing the paper purge but instead have been opening up the last large moving boxes in the garage to see what's in them and try to get it all placed somewhere. Some of the items are in limbo - I haven't decided whether to keep them or freecycle them - but I did pick out the display items I felt were most meaningful and I knew I wanted to keep. And I put them on the rattan stand in the living room.

I also finished shelving the books that had been just piled up and now need to find homes for the book rejects. I'm going to look for a good used bookstore that's close by. There's a great one downtown, the famous Powell's, but I don't want to lug three cartons of books down there.

And I've been reading through my pile of old magazines as my DH watches tv and getting them ready to take to the doctor's office today.

And I need to get going! So I guess I've done more than my 12 pieces of paper each day - just not the ones I'd been thinking about originally.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

that "long cold" could be a sinus infection. I think mine is.

that may not be a "paper purge," but it's a "backlog purge," which is in much the same vein. Congrats!

I know what you mean about "limbo"--I've decided putting stuff in limbo is OK as long as it doesn't becom permanent.

• minet
    16 years ago

Yep, you're right. Diagnosed as a sinus infection, and now I have a couple of prescriptions to take for 10 days. I should start feeling better in 2-3.

I took in 5 old mags and 1 Pottery Barn catalog to leave in the waiting room.

I still haven't found my lost box of keys ...

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Way to go, Talley Sue!

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

my doc is out of the office for 2 days--will a sinus infection go away on its own?

and thanks, Tina!

One benefit of this: checks will be coming in the mail, w/ all this reimbursement filing.

• minet
    16 years ago

I don't know if it will or not - I've had this since May 13. She gave me an antibiotic and a pseudoephedrine.

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

My impression of sinus infections is that they usually require an antibiotic, taken for the full prescribed period. A decongestant (Pseudophedrine or some other) is used to help drain the sinus cavities. My doctor also had me use Simply Saline (original formula, not allergy formula) a few times a day to help flush out the sinus cavities. It's a natural, drug-free solution, and does not cause any problems when you stop using. They way I understand it, it's helpful to keep the sinus area moist, because dryness contributes to lingering infection. This kind of thing can make you feel miserable. I hope you both get better soon.

Tina

• jannie
    16 years ago

I am cursed with allergies and sinus infections. I bought a Neti Pot sinus-irrigation system and packets of nasal moisturizing solution. I have cured myself of sinus problems. When I have a cold or otherwise stuffy nose,I'll use it twice a day. It removes dust and allergens and mucus. Sounds gross but works for me. I haven't seen a doctor in over two years for nasal problems.

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

jannie -- Can you tell me about the Neti Pot, please? I've heard of these, but don't know how they work or how to use. I have bad allergies and would do almost anything to not have to medicate as much. I guess I could google this, but it would be nice to hear from someone who actually uses. Thanks!

Tina

• minet
    16 years ago

I bought one this morning, after leaving the doctor. I got it at Whole Oats (a natural foods/health store). It was about $15. I'd heard about them a couple of years ago, and then this week I saw a demonstration of it on Oprah.

Here's a link to an explanation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neti Pot

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Thanks, minet. I did a quick search last night after posting and found that link. Very interesting. The Simply Saline solution is used the same way, except it is a prepackaged thing. Probably more expensive, but it is portable and I can just pop it in my purse. I think the Neti Pot would be good to have at home, and I would be able to use it daily. What mixture do you add to the water?

Tina

• minet
    16 years ago

I was told, by the person who sold it to me, that sea salt is best. Regular table salt usually has iodine and is too irritating.

I'm going to wait until I get over this infection before trying it.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

my dr. said to use kosher salt; it dissolves easily. It's cheap. I have a waterpik w/ a special nose attachment that I was using to try to alleviate my allergy / postnasal drip stuff. I forgot about it for sinus infections.

• jannie
    16 years ago

Tally sue, I'm rolling along. I'm going to make a list of all the drawers and closets in my house, then tackle them one at a time, 12 items at a time. I expect there will be 30 to 50 projects, but if I keep going, eventually I will have a TRULY uncluttered home. Not just one that looks presenrtable on the first glance.

• liz_h
    16 years ago

talley sue, I've found I can usually knock out a sinus infection with nasal irrigation. When my waterpik finally died, I switched to using an ear syringe.

A year so so ago, my dental hygienist talked me into getting a Sonicare toothbrush. I also use it to brush my tongue. Since I've started this, I haven't had a sinus infection. I don't know if the coated tongue that accompanies sinus congestion made a great breeding ground for bacteria, or just what the connection is. I've had years in the past with 8 or 10 sinus infections - not fun!

• jannie
    16 years ago

Minet, thank you for posting that link for Tina. I'm not computer-literate enogh to do such things. I mean that in a nice way.

• tre3
    16 years ago

I'm ba-a--c-k! Feeling behind and rather scattered. Twelve items sounds like just the thing to get me back on track! Do 12 weeds count? LOL
    T

• jannie
    16 years ago

I know,I'm sorry this thread got hijicked. Back to 12-at-a-time organizing, folks.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Janniek don't do the list if it's just going to slow you down. Just grab a drawer and do a dozen.

I didn't do any last night, I'm sorry to confess. It was my birthday, and I had cake to eat, and a Hardy Boys book to read to a little boy.

I'll have to try the nasal irrigation. It never made any effect on my chronic cough, but it might clear the gunk out well enough for my body to tackle the bacterial.

Interesting the thing about the tongue.

Well, I have 5 receipts to file at work--that counts as 5, right?

• liz_h
    16 years ago

Well, I have done 12 things or 15 minutes most days, but never in the office. Does it count that I dealt with new mail, and paid, shredded or recycled as appropriate? At least it didn't add to the piles there... Maybe this week I'll do better.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

At least it didn't add to the piles there

What is my mantra? "First, do no harm."

I think that counts, but of course, you are going to need to get to "paying the principal, not just the interest."

(hey, there's another theme: "decluttering is like a credit card")

• liz_h
    16 years ago

Thanks talley sue. You're certainly right about paying that principal!

Actually this is costing me some money. I run an air cleaner in that room because I'm so allergic to dust. If all those stacks weren't sitting around, I wouldn't need that machine.

Hmnm... maybe I should shove all the stacks inside the cabinets, and take one out at a time to deal with. I'm just afraid I could ignore them even better at that point. For some reason I'm just really reluctant to work on this. Even doing laundry is preferable!

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Just realized that it's been over a week since I last paid bills and filed everything away. Yesterday before company arrived I had to put away a couple bills, filing and to-do's-- that's a sign I need to sit down and take care of business. I noticed that at this point the task doesn't seem critical, nor does it seem overwhelming. I think for me that is an important point -- do tasks when there are still only a few, rather than rationalizing the opportunity to put it off. It's a fine line between "I don't have to do this yet" and "Oh, my gosh, there are so many bills to be paid and things to do, but I just don't have the energy".

I'm a little disappointed that I hadn't stayed on top of the few things to file and the to-do's, nor have I yet to find an actual place for these things when they can't be taken care of immediately. Oh, well, it's a learning process.

Tina

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tina, don't spend too much time being disappointed in yourself. First, that's just a waste of time, if you spend very much time on it.

It's OK to be a little disappointed; that's what motivates you to improve in an area you value.

But spend MORE time dwelling on the idea that the work you put in, in the past, made it easier to get caught up again. Let THAT idea roll around your brain, instead of the disappointment part.

Then, next time you think , "Oh, I'll file that later, it takes too long to do it now," you will trigger the "last time, filing it made life easier later; it won't either take that long, and I'll be paying it forward," instead of "I'm such a crumb for not filing."

Sometimes I think we need to treat ourselves the way we treat our children.

Sure, we make them come back and pick up their own jacket and put it away.

But if we're smart, we also point out their successes and encourage them.

I walked DS to school today, and pointed out to him that he is very good at studying, at reviewing the material he's learned, and drilling, and memorizing, and thinking about it. And I pointed out that he sees a very big payoff. He studied hard for a multiplication-tables test, and got 100 out of 100 right! And he studied the rules for dividing words, and his entire row got to eliminate one homework assignment bcs they recited them back w/ no errors.

True, there are times he didn't study, and got a 67 on his test. But every time he has studied, he gets a 97 or a 100. So THAT was what I pointed out. Not the goofs, just the successes.

I kind of blew off paperwork this weekend (though I did take care of an envelope full of receipts this morning--can I count that as 8 instead of 1? I'll do more tonight, but I'm out tomorrow until midnight, so I'll have to pick back up on Thursday.

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Talley sue, thanks. I think I was more just noticing my behavior and thinking out loud. The small disappointment was with the filing and to-do's and realizing I had forgotten to create a space to put these things. And that's ok. -- I'm definitely not beating myself up over it. The whole week I had been riding high on my success at clearing away the bills and paperwork. But I was actually pleased to recognize my internal thought process yesterday as I was putting away my small pile of bills and stuff and noticed there were "just a few things" -- I think for me that is an important point -- do tasks when there are still only a few, rather than rationalizing the opportunity to put it off.

I am looking forward to staying on top of things. I have already seen the results of culling and organization, and I am ready to have this important area of my life under control. I should mention that this is something I have historically always taken care of, but in the last year or so I let things slip -- more a sign of my perimenopausal state of mind and all the things that go along with that! I try and keep in mind that this is the time I need to create order in my life and simplify tasks so they get done.

Tina

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Okay, back on track with the paperwork. I've been taking care of it a little bit each day, and that seems to work well. Maybe in the future I'll be able to create a system where I sit down and pay bills once a week, but for now my goal is to clear things out daily as they arrive. It's sort of the same principle as putting things away where they belong. I open the mail, and see a bill. The next step is to write a check and file away the statement. Anything I touch is taken care of. If it's a notice that creates a task for me, such as writing an email or letter and I can't do it immediately, I put it on my next day's to-do list. I want things done so I don't have to wonder about the order of my accounts or when a bill is due. For me, my new paperwork mantra is "DO IT NOW".

Tina

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't think there's anything wrong w/ clearing things as they arrive. In fact, that system is much less likely to result in the backlog that I'm trying to clear away.

If you blow a day, then at least you only have that days' worth of backlog to deal with tomorrow.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well, I powered through a whole bunch of paperwork on Saturday--nearly emptied one of the boxes.There's still stuff in there, but it's all stuff that will take longer to sort out.

(and as a bonus, I threw out all the utility & bounce-protection statements from 2000 through 2005--gotta keep ahead of those)

So tomorrow I'll tackle the drawer.

• minet
    16 years ago

I got a bee in my bonnet this evening and have been shredding the papers that were piled up next to the shredder. I just got tired of looking at them.

I've emptied the shredder can a couple of times and right now am waiting for the motor to cool down so it will start up again. When it gets too hot it just shuts down for 10-15 minutes, then is ok to go again.

I use the shredded paper in my compost pile, so right now I'm just collecting it all in bags to take out to the pile a bit at a time. I need to mix it in with some kitchen scraps.

I have done well over my dozen pieces today, but that only makes up for the days I haven't done any.