Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cool kitchen-cabinet pullout--might fit in my skinny space?

Posted by talley_sue_nyc (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 10:55

Isn't this cool?

I have a space by my fridge that is about 9" wide where I currently stash brooms. I wish I could put sodas and stuff there, or that it wasn't so higgledy-piggledy.

Isn't this cool?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21745

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I don't think I'd want that configuration--I think I'd want a completely tall panel. Because I'd want to store brooms, dustpan, etc. PLUS I'd want to store soda bottles, I think.

And I'd want it to be a little wider than 6".

Plus, I'm not absolutely certain how I'd mount it, since there isn't a cabinet panel anywhere there--just the wall on one side and the fridge on the other.

My 15yo needs a summer project to do w/ his Grandpa. Maybe this would be a good one. It would give me an excuse to get the Kreg Pocket-Hole Jig.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cool kitchen-cabinet pullout--might fit in my skinny space?

Very cool! And as much as it seems to store, even if using a different configuration, it would be worth the expense especially in that area of the house.

o

My husband and his buddy built one similar using an online tutorial. It has pegboard and I hang utility stuff on it: brooms, dustpan, flyswatter, tools...it's so handy for a kitchen that doesn't have a pantry closet or other tall utility space. It has been one of the best parts of our kitchen remodel :-)

This is the tutorial:

Here is a link that might be useful: narrow tall DIY pullout

o

I've seen that at IkeaFans. I forgot about it!

I think I'll sic my kid on that. Who knows if he'll be able, but it would be a good project for him.

He can start with a set of smaller boxes to mount in the closet for books, and then move up to this.

o

I keep coming back to this thread and looking at that cabinet. I wonder whether you could sit it on rollers rather than suspending it from the side.

o

You probably need to stabilize it at the top somehow. And it will want to wiggle around as you slide it in and out.

So, top- and bottom-drawer slides would work. Or some sort of "guide" on the top (like, a pipe mounted under the cabinet above, and a screw eye or two on the top of the cabinet) might keep it rolling well.

And maybe fixed casters would minimize that, too

There *are* carts that are tall and skinny. I haven't seen them lately, though.

o
the hardware for it!

Oh, my, look! For $280, you can buy a frame w/ slides!

Here is a link that might be useful: Haefle pantry-pullout hardware

o

Wow! What a cool invention.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here