Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corner Storage solution?

Posted by maura63 (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 08 at 9:47

I have an empty corner in my family room, next to a doorway that leads to our so-called mud room (which is lacking in storage options). I would like to get a storage unit of some sort for this corner. I want this to be closed storage, since it will be hiding things you might typically find in a mud room. (Or, at the very least, closed storage below and maybe a "display" upper part.)

I am undecided about getting an actual "corner" piece, which would look nice, aesthetically -- or if I should consider a standard bookcase (with closed lower storage) and caddy-corner it. I think the second option provides more space.

If you have either, please tell me the pros and cons of these options -- thanks!

Maura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corner Storage solution?

Maura,

It seems none here has either of these...

It would help though, if you said what you plan to store in that unit.

(I´m not sure what you mean by caddy-corner it.)

What I would do however is, first, have some functional, easy to use and eye pleasing storage in the mud-room (like a combination of A FEW hooks/shelves/baskets, maybe a bench) for the things that we use everyday coming and going, like a launch pad for every member of the family. Then, I would just close off the corner you mention behind doors (a custom made corner closet) and fit it with hooks and shelves - not to deep, to allow for a big item, like a vacuum cleaner, to be placed on the floor at the front. The closet would hold the extra mud-room type things, that you don´t use daily but want to have on hand.

I would never ever get a corner unit with display space at the top.

Just my 2 cents.

Maria

o
I meant to say...

I meant to say: a custom made BUILT-IN corner closet, not free standing.

You don´t mention if you rent or own the place though.

Maria

o
RE: Corner Storage solution?

Maura's renting (Did I remember right? Maybe I have you confused w/ someone), I think, so custom built-in wouldn't be that useful in that situation.

If it's renting, I think I'd try to stick w/ a rectangular cabinet instead of triangular.

I have a triangular *closet*, and it's the only size that fits there, but it's sort of a pain--stuff gets in the way-back corner and it's hard to get out. I have to do funky things w/ folding the towels, etc. If rectangular were an option, I'd pick it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here