Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hibiscus53

pull outs

hibiscus53
16 years ago

As I have mentioned we are moving in about a week. The new kitchen has basic cabinets and I'm going to have to do some sort of pull out shelving to ease my back. I know there are tons on-line products but wanted some input and experiences. Also the pantry is small with ventilated shelving.Ideas please!

Comments (3)

• claire_de_luna
    16 years ago

Rev-a-shelf has a complete line of products. I have their laundry bins in my laundry closet and they're working very well. I know several in the kitchen forum that use/like them too. My old kitchen was similar to yours and we put wire baskets in the cabinets that slide which helped enormously. Good luck with your move.

Here is a link that might be useful: rev-a-shelf

• Maura63
    16 years ago

Our kitchen was remodeled about 5 years ago, and when considering the pull-out feature for base cabinets, I decided against it. It gives you less actual storage space.

As a back-saver-solution, many like-items in the lower cabinets are stored in bins/baskets. These can temporarily be set on the counter for the task at hand.

Also as a back-saver, I keep a small folding chair in one of my tall cabinets, that I use when I need to spend time organizing a lower cabinet or when I clean out the fridge. (This is also handy as extra seating at the table when guests are over.)

I bought mine locally, at a place called Amazing Savings for about $7, but I've since seen them at Walmart. I've seen them with and without backs. I'm sorry I didn't get two since it is also useful when filing or cleaning out dresser drawers. But it is very lightweight and worth retrieving when needed.

Maura

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

shelvesthatslide.com
    makes pullouts to order--lots of different styles, different slides, different heights to the sides.

Good directions for how to order them. Not difficult to put in for someone w/ a little experience w/ a drill and a level.

It's true pullouts eat up some of the storage space. So do drawers (my cabinet drawers do not go all the way to the back of the cabinet--there's about a 2" gap back there).

But if back problems are a problem, it's a fair trade-off to make.

If you have a handyman type person around, you can order drawer boxes from some place like MapleCraftUSA.com, and order the adjustable drawer-slide setup from Rockler.com

(do a Google search for "drawer boxes" and find lots of companies that sell drawer boxes, which is all a pullout is anyway; just perhaps w/ a shorter side, and they'll make them that way too; most hardware sources will sell the adjustable-shelf-standard/drawer-slide setup)

The brackets work w/ 3/4 and full-extension slides. My vote: get full extension, and see if you can put 3 in a spot most people would put 2 (lay cans on their sides, for example, and space the shelves very closely together, so the fattest can JUST slips by).

Here is a link that might be useful: Accuride Shelf Standard Slide Brackets