Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need shelves that have 1 end curved - help!

Posted by thinktoomuch (My Page) on
Sat, May 2, 09 at 0:25

I have a long skinny new closet in my basement that will be for toys. It is 5 feet long and 32" wide with a door at one end. I need to hang shelves on the long wall and walk in. I know it is narrow, but I am hoping it will be ok for the kids to go in a get toys. Since the shelves will stick out into the walk way I want the end to be rounded. I am hoping we won't have to custom make rounded shelves. Does anyone know where I could find shelves with one rounded end?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need shelves that have 1 end curved - help!

I don't know where to find pre-made rounded corners.

I have a storage closet under the stairs that is 37" wide and a few few deep plus it has a slanted ceiling. It sounds similar to what you have. I had a hard time deciding on how I wanted my shelves. I ended up leaving the shelf edges straight where you walk in the door. To minimize the impact of that, I installed them on the wall on the same side as the hinges of the door.

If you are afraid of the kids running into a shelf corner, you could run a 2x4 or appropriate size piece of lumber along the end of the shelves up from the floor to the top of the top shelf. It would eliminate the safety hazard and add a bit more stability.

The rounded shelves may be be prettier and easier for your needs. I'm still learning to use my saws so I went with what was the simplest for me.

Good luck!

o
RE: I need shelves that have 1 end curved - help!

I wonder if you could get what you need w/ rectangular shelves that you cut the end off at an angle. Those might not be hard to find someone to make, if you yourself aren't comfortable cutting them w/ a saw of some kind.

(there is iron-on edge banding in white melamine, and every kind of wood, if you bought prefinished shelves and tried to cut the corners off; ;you can just use your home iron to iron the band to cover the raw edge). You might want to clamp thin plywood top and bottom to protect the cutting edge from chipping.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here