Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Suggestions for Master Closet Layout

Posted by jessiegray (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 20:47

We're downsizing from 2 6'x6' closets, into one closet that's 7'x10' and trying to figure out the best layout to maximize storage potential of the closet. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the layout of closet, the stairs cut into the back corner and we've yet to come up with a design solution to work around it. Ceilings are 9' high, sorry if the 3d rendering is hard to figure out it was just designed in a small home building program to help us visualize the space.
Photobucket

This is what we've come up with, Drawers and shelves in the left corner, shoe shelves against the very back wall.
Photobucket

Opposite side of closet would just be rods. Again any suggestions would be great.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Suggestions for Master Closet Layout

It makes perfect sense to me. What program did you use? I'd love to have one like that. It's awesome. My first thought is if there's anyway you can use the upper half of the area cutout because of the stairs it could possible add room to hand tops or other shorter items. That's assuming you don't have this all framed in already and wouldn't have to tear out walls to do it. Although looking again at your first drawing you may already be as far over as you can be. If so there's not allot you can do but use the walls for hooks to store belts, scarves, jewelry and such. About the only other thought I have is it to bump it out as low as you can for a shelf to store bulky things like luggage that you don't need to be handy every day. That could possibly still allow you plenty of head room going up and down the stairs.

o

Great ideas thanks, The program is better homes and gardens designer suite 8.0, it's very old ... I actually used it 4 yrs ago to build our first house, so it's outdated but still useful. It saves alot of headache by being able to give my builder and designer a visual instead of just trying to explain it :)

o

You're welcome. I hope they help you gain more useful space. I'm obsessive about using all possible storage space available whenever possible.
I've heard of that program. I'll have to see if they have an updated version. Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here