Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apoem

garage sale!

apoem
19 years ago

Finally, after how many years?? We are having a garage sale. Normally I haul a big box of stuff to goodwill every two months or so- as the baby outgrows clothes or toys etc.

But about two years ago DH said- "Oh no, let's do a garage sale". Two years later (and maybe even two plus years later)

We probably would get more out of it if we were to just take the tax write off. I understand that. At this point though- we have several pick up trucks full worth of stuff. So a garage sale it is.

Now I haven't had a garage sale since forever. So, now what?

I live out of the main city in a small rural town. I called all my neighbors and told them that if they wanted to do it the same day I was- it would be a block party and I would advertise and do signs. (Ok, sometimes I take on too much.)

But what else? Posters at the end of my road? Extra change? And how do you decide what you price something?

Help..

Ginger

Comments (7)

• minnie_tx
    19 years ago

I had my first GS a couple opf weeks ago. Visitying DS kind of ran the whole thing. He took small cardboard boxes and fixed Garage Sale signs on the sides visible to the traffic. Then stuck a brick in each one and put them on the corners of our street. We put an ad in the paper with the time and area as well as address and a few types of things we were selling. We made signs on the computer (the box signs too) and used them to identify certain things in a box or on a table that would be all the saame price. Ex: HARDCOVER BOOKS 50¢ PAPER BACKS 5¢.UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED.

Be sure to put unless other wise specified etc on your signs.

I only had couple of card tables but a neighbor loaned me three and that was a big help. But people kind of enjoyed getting down and scrounging in the boxes on the pavement and grass.

I made almost $400 and am getting stuff ready for my next one. Things I knw wouldn't sell again I dropped off at Goodwill.

• Adella Bedella
    18 years ago

Price to sell. Adult clothes $1. Kid clothes $.50. Toys $.25-1.00. Give away the stuffed animals. Sell it at half price after 10 am. Your goal is to get rid of it all.

Also, have a free box for that stuff you know won't sell, but might be useful to someone else.

I've started taking my preschoolers to garage sales as a reward for getting up early in the morning. We always manage to find at least one sale where the people want like new prices on used stuff. Why bother having a sale? People go to garage sales for bargains.

• trekaren
    18 years ago

I am not believing it but I have accumulated enough to have another one - it's ON for next Friday and Saturday!

I'd invite you guys, but I do NOT want my clutter going to your house!

Mentally, this time I am letting go of some emotional baggage. I don't know why but I am finally ready.
    - The little baby toy that my grandmother gave me when I was still pregnant (she passed away right before I had my DD).
    - My daughter's spring horse, that she has way since outgrown. (I have to put a homework desk in there now).
    - my healthrider exercise thing. I love my treadmill and use it all the time. But I honestly never used the healthrider and when I did, I didn't enjoy it. Alas, but then what will I hang the ironing on?

The weather is supposed to be nice. Wish me luck!

• mitchdesj
    18 years ago

trek, don't get rid of the baby toy !!

• trekaren
    18 years ago

It's too big! And not practical to keep. I have other things she gave me that I am keeping - like a Teddy Bear. This is you know, one of those toys you sit on the floor, and baby lies under it and plays with the toys hanging down.

It is time......and I realized that I had so many other things to tie DGrandmother to DD, like Teddy, and her Barbie doll collection that I inherited and then completed. And the fact that my daughter reminds me of her.

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

and pictures...

sell the toy--there will be someone who will be so glad of the bargain they got.

My DD really LOVED buying Ernie for 25¢ at a garage sale we went to. (we were out of town--there aren't many garage sales in NYC, though an apt. bldg down the street has one on the sidewalk around their building. VERY overwhelmed w/ stupid knick-knacks)

• trekaren
    18 years ago

Well, my DD participated heavily in this garage sale, because I told her I would separate any profits from her table for her to keep.
    Grand total for a couple of half days sitting in the yard relaxing:
    Me: $78
    DD: $44
    And my neighbor put a few things in and made $15 :-)

I have everything still priced and boxed up to take to my other neighbor's sale in June. I actually sold most of the bulky items, like the exercise machine, lego table, toddler basketball goal, and lawn chairs we no longer use.

And I got rid of nearly a rubbermaid container full of VHS kids videos.

So volume-wise, my house already feels lighter!