Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions relating to Reachin Closet Doors

Posted by revaselva (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 19:08

Hi All,
I am moving into a 1960s ranch style home, which has a reachin closets in all 3 bedrooms. As part of remodel, our contractor had widened the opening of the master bedroom closet from standard 8ft wide to 106". Initially I was not interested in sliding doors for the closets, as that would prevent easy reach and direct view of all the stuff. But our contractor called up few doors company and confirmed that there are no bi-fold doors available for that width and the only option is to go with a sliding doors.
The dimensions of the closet are 106" (l)* 25"(w)*96"(h).
I wanted a mirrored door for the closets.
Kindly suggest, what all options do I have relating to closet doors. Also I am looking for suggestions relating to closet organizers for this closet. I do not like Elfa system since it is wired.
Greatly appreciate your inputs.

Thanks
Reva

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions relating to Reachin Closet Doors

You might want to post your question on the Home Repair forum for questions about doors.

If you had your heart set on bifold doors, you could make double bifold doors with each panel 26 inches wide. You might need commercial grade hardware for the additional weight of the doors.

You could do tri-sliding doors so that 2/3 of the closet could be exposed.

o

If you want mirrored doors, why don't you go to a glass company and get them made there? I'm pretty sure they would make them to the size you would need, although I don't know about the cost...

o

The link below takes you to a list of suppliers of closet organizers. (I thought Elfa had a non-wire solution, but I could be wrong.)

Big bummer about the bifold doors; too bad your contractor didn't find the doors first and size the closet afterward.
They sell bifold door hardware. Can you find someone to make a custom solution?
This company makes custom bifold doors; you might discuss w/ them whether it's possible.
http://www.sunmountaindoor.com/doors/browse/type/bifold-bipass-doors/

These guys make custom doors, plus they have 4-door sets for widths greater than 8 feet.
http://www.marwincompany.com/bi-fold-doors.php
8 door units: 6'0" to 12'0"

Here's hardware (they bill themselves as "replacement," but maybe they'll sell stuff for a new install):
http://www.reflectwindow.com/Sliding-Closet-Door-Hardware
Accordion & Tri-fold Folding Closet Door Hardware
Improve the stability and maneuverability of your accordion or tri-fold style closet doors using the proper tri-fold sliding closet door hardware parts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Better Homes & Gardens roundup of closet organizers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here