Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drbeanie2000_gw

Show me your narrow, deep closets please!

drbeanie2000
12 years ago

We have two linen closets that are narrow and deep, and one problem is that the doorways make them even narrower.

The first one is not that deep, but it seems deep:

24"W x 20" D, but the doorway is only 16" wide.

The second one really is deep: 24"W x 30" deep with an 18" doorway.

Something like this seems like the best option - have any of you tried this, or something else, for your narrow deep closets?

Thanks in advance,

bean

Comments (4)

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

I would give up on trying to use the space blocked by the door framing and use the slide-out baskets like you show.

Why are the doors so narrow compared to the closets? The absolute best solution would be to widen the openings (unless the house would collapse)

• drbeanie2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, I know the best solution would be to widen the doorways! It's just that they have some fairly elaborate molding around the door frame that would have to be removed, and I'd have to get new doors as well.

• talley_sue_nyc
    12 years ago

I have a narrow deep, deep closet. I step into it.

And I have shallow stuff stored along the wall that I stand beside, plus deep-ish shelves along the short back wall, and partial hanging stuff in front of them.

I have pics somewhere, but I'm not sure if it helps.

But my vote would be to put deep-ish (18" or so) shelves across the back (so you can slide in a Rubbermaid-style storage bin, end in, like a drawer, and then put 4"-deep shelves on the side wall or walls. You'd be amazed when you can store in 4" of depth. Esp. if the shelves are relatively closely spaced. And leave a section of that side wall blank for hooks.

Best is probably to leave the middle free of most stuff, so the bins on the shelves can be pulled out, and keep any side-wall shelves, etc., on the front half of the closet, JUST inside the door frame.

For a quick-and-dirty trial of this, maybe get shoe-pocket organizers and hang them on the side walls. You can slip Windex, dust cloths, boxes of garbage bags, etc., in those pockets if you get one w/ generous-sized pockets.

• geokid
    12 years ago

I used to have one of those closets. My solution was to store rarely used items (extra blankets, pillows, flannel sheets, etc) in the way backs and treat the front space like a regular depth closet. On a couple shelves, I folded towels so that they were long and went all the way to the back of the closet.