Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mustangs81

Claiming Space

mustangs81
14 years ago

I found 3 wall cabinets on clearance at Lowes for $33 each. My BIL cut out the wall in the laundry room and installed these cabinets. They protrude into the lawn mower niche in the garage so no lost space there. I lost my friend doing her laundry, but it's function over form.

Before:

After:

Comments (15)

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

That is simply fabulous. I would give anything to have a little extra pantry space (and freezer space), but am trying to dedicate myself to the idea of keeping everything rotated or cleaned out instead.

You are one of the most organized people I know (with one of the best laundry rooms). Congratulations on taking a clearance item and making it work for you!

• talley_sue_nyc
    14 years ago

It's too bad your friend doing her laundry is so square, or you could look into decoupaging her onto the center of one of the doors!

Would she fit onto the back of a door, so she can surprise you when you open it?

That's a really neat solution.

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

Now I feel like I missed something. What happened to your friend? All I can imagine is that she asked you for organizing help but didn't really want it...

Also, were you able to find a good spot for your laundry picture and clothespins?

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Claire, Thanks for your comments!! My friend is the lady in the picture--she keeps me company while I'm doing laundry chores. BTW--see the tomatoes in the pantry? Those are the brands that I have left to test in the 6in1 taste comparison for the Cooking Forum.

Talley_Sue, Of course you are a driving force in getting the most out of shelves. I am still working on that aspect of the cabinets. I hope you noticed the shelf specifically for the cat food cans. If I put my friend in a smaller frame, I think I have a place for her but it will be a tight fit.

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

Oh well, Duh. But Of course! Sometimes I miss everything going on right around me... Funny, I wondered if I'd be able to see any 6n1 tomatoes in your pantry! I'll be curious to see how your tests turn out.

I don't know if TS did (of course she did!) but I noticed your cat food shelf (and good space planning) right away.

• talley_sue_nyc
    14 years ago

I love those closely spaced shelves. Isn't it funny how you have just enough space for the cat-food shelf w/ those tall bottles on the other shelves in that cabinet?

And three shelves in the top one--that worked out well.

(are you thinking of putting another shelf in the middle one, and moving that bottle there to one of the shelves below?)

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Talley_Sue, My problem is that I don't have more shelves. I carried one of the shelves with me to HD; they didn't have any pre-cut to that size and they will only do one straight cut to the length I need but not to the width. I'm going to ask a neighbor to cut some for me.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

that is a thing of beauty, how handy!

• mommabird
    14 years ago

Your laundry room is incredible. I am dying for a room like this!

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ohohoh, I forgot to share something neat!

Look at the "before" picture. Between the w & d and the counter top, you will see space that I use to store collapsible laundry basket, ironing pad, and the users manuals for the w & d. I salvaged some deli trays from an old refrigerator. They fit perfectly and I can slide them out like slim drawers.

• jannie
    14 years ago

Cool! When we modernized our 1950's bathroom, the contractor moved a wall back three inches into the attic to give us extra legroom in the bathroom. Every little bit helps.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    14 years ago

Omigosh! You did good and for a good price, too! Your laundry room looks great and it sure gave you more storage space. What are the red containers (?) above the cabinet and what is stored in them? Hey, if I'm gonna look - I'm gonna ask questions! LOL I love red and they look great, whatever they are.

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Des, Thank you for the comments. Don't you just love organization!

To answer your question about the red containerscolor>. Those are Dansk cookware pieces that I have collected over the years...so I can sell them on eBay LOL. This was the only place to store them so they dictated the color scheme (such as it is) of the laundry room.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    14 years ago

Oh...okay. They look good enough up there that you need to replace each piece you sell with something else RED! LOL

• ronbre
    14 years ago

that is really great !!