Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slahgirl

Books about Organizing a Custom Built Home

slahgirl
16 years ago

Hi all. I, I am sure like many of you, am obsessed with home organization books. I just started a new one-the 6 Week Total Mom Makeover by Hannah Keeley. I am super excited about it. But my question is, has anyone ran across any books or websites that give tips on how to incorporate organizing space and details while you are building a home? We are getting ready to start in a month, and I would love to have some ideas that I will have now, so I won't say, "I wish I would have done that!" Thanks!!!

Comments (9)

• TommeCA
    16 years ago

I have found the Sara Susanka books to be really helpful. Although we have not done a custom build, we have done extensive remodeling and the books are a great source of inspiration. She talks about multipurposing, examining how you really use your space, custom finishes such as built-ins, etc. I believe one of the titles is The Not So Big House. There are several other titles similar named also by Susanka. I have three and all are good. I believe they are published by Taunton books; your library should have them. (I bet there are lots available on eBay or half.com.)

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

There might be books about "built-ins" and closets.

Here's one: Design Ideas for Home Storage

magazines might be a great source, as well.

• quiltglo
    16 years ago

I second the vote for the Not So Big series. We didn't custom build either, but I read all of her books before we did our remodel and found her information invaluable. She even has smaller specific books like dealing with a mudroom. Rather than just looking at bits and pieces, she challenges you as to how you will live in the space, which of course dictates how you need it organized.

Gloria

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

A third vote for the Not so Big books. A friend couldn't seem to get organized, but after reading a couple of the books, finally realized that her living spaces were actually arranged for some mythical person rather than herself. I can't say she's truly neat now, but at least now she has an idea of what is where.

The two/three best ideas I've ever seen: A) Have the washer and dryer near the bedrooms, not down in the basement [that cuts down carrying clean/dirty clothes all around the house]. B/C) All cabinets [especially in the kitchen] should have adjustable pull-out shelves and easy-open doors. Open bookcases are dustcatchers; if you *have* to see where-is what you want, use transparent plastic or glass doors. And the last idea is not about organizing: use the most of the best insulation you can put onto your house, the upfront cost pays back in a reasonable time and the personal comfort is priceless.

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Another vote for the Not So Big books.

Tina

• slahgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok...went to amazon and found all the NOT SO BIG series. The problem is, there are about 7 or 8 books she has written. Where do I start?

• quiltglo
    16 years ago

Start with the first one, The Not So Big House. You might check your local library if you don't want to buy them all. We have several of her books in our library.

Gloria

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

I borrowed the original two, "The Not So Big House" and "Creating the Not So Big House" from the library, but I bought "Home By Design" and "Outside the Not So Big House" (related to integrating landscaping and house). I would advise having a look at all of the books before deciding. They are very similar in approach and central ideas, but one or two may be more relevant to issues important to you.

Tina

• claire_de_luna
    16 years ago

You might like to have a look at the pictures on My Page. I've customized a kitchen, laundry and bath, starting from a point of what wasn't working for me (which was a lot!) Some have suggested (ok accused, really) that I'm...uh...anal retentive, but I've figured out a way to incorporate laundry sorting bins with appliances in a closet in the bedroom hall, put outlets behind cabinet drawers for keeping things plugged in and off the counters, and get trash and recycling straight from inside the house to the containers in the garage. Point of use storage in the kitchen for instance, like putting the cereal bowls in the same spot with the cereal, or the dog food next to the dog's dish, is extremely helpful. There are lots of good ideas floating around!

Sarah Susanka's books were extremely useful to me as well and a real source of inspiration.