Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazy_gardens

It FITS!!!!! It all fits!!!

lazy_gardens
18 years ago

I cleaned the laundry cabinets yesterday. It's a tiny laundry room, and the cabinet was overflowing. I planned to put all of the seldom-used cleaning supplies in a box in the garage to make room for what we use all the time.

Well, after throwing out all of the empty containers, out-dated products, and cleaners for things that are no longer in the house (such as marble polish, when there is no marble) ... IT ALL FITS!

Comments (16)

• jamie_mt
    18 years ago

Congratulations!! LOL I love it when that happens...I bet it looks wonderful and organized to! :-)

• lobotome
    18 years ago

I bet you're getting a sense of accomplishment. I LOVE organised cabinets.... *when* I finally manage to do it, I find myself opening the cabinet 3 or 4 times a day just to admire my work.

LOL! It's taking me a whole house reno to finally get my cabinets organised

• teacats
    18 years ago

Oooooooooooooo!!!!! Well done!!!!

An excellent job -- and the results are wonderful!!

(isn't it amazing how much useless clutter can take up SO much useful space!!)

• susan_on
    18 years ago

I just did my laundry room shelves, and it was a fantstic feeling. My laundry area isn't a very good one though, it's small and the furnace stuff is in there, so it will never be a nice room.

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

Amazine how our spaces grow when we get rid of the excess.

My last house had the furnace in the laundry room. It wasn't a comfortable room, but now I wish I had at leasted painted it an put in some nicer shelves.

Gloria

• joann23456
    18 years ago

That's terrific - and motivational!

• lazy_gardens
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I found a diaper pin in the cabinet ... the SO's youngest is almost 21 years old!

My predecessor as LOTH (Lady of the House) was a sucker for all kinds of specialty products and cleaners. I'm the "gimme a rag and some soapy water" type, so I had a lot of ancient history to wade through.

I also did the under kitchen sink cabinet AND last weekend the SO's youngest took the time to sort through a bunch of "priceless mementos" and by the time she was through, the charity box and two trashcans were full.

• teacats
    18 years ago

Way to go on the clean out --- and to the charity box and two trashcans full too!! You have been BUSY!!

Excellent jobs!

• rjvt
    18 years ago

Congratulations all! It amazes me, that those projects that I really don't want to deal with, the yucky, dingy or dusty places, when cleaned out are spaces that I am so surprised with the change! It really is great that you can make a yucky space so much nicer, and in return you will probably be in a better mood doing laundry! Enjoy...

• susan_on
    18 years ago

I'm going to do something with my laundry room when the cat is gone. He's old, and I won't be getting another cat (a dog maybe), and his litter box is in there. When he is gone, I'm going to put a tall cabinet where his box is now. I mean, he'll be around for a couple of years, at least..I'm not going to rush him.

• macbirch
    18 years ago

Empty containers, outdated products. DH's speciality is the plastic bag with a spare something or other from the hardware store. When he needs it he can't find it so it's off to the hardware store again for another one, and a spare. I do my bit too. The old clothes that'll come in handy for when we're painting or that we can use for gardening, even if they don't actually fit. The clothes with a stain or something that I'll be able to fix as soon as the right wonder product comes on the market because that used to be my favourite blouse or my most expensive skirt, even if it doesn't fit any more anyway. Well done Lazygardens!

• lazy_gardens
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"DH's speciality is the plastic bag with a spare something or other from the hardware store. When he needs it he can't find it so it's off to the hardware store again for another one, and a spare."

I solved that: Three boxes in the garage with all the spares bits. Any stray bits that I find go in one of 3 boxes: plumbing, electrical, or hardware. And the SO is treined to look there before buying.

A fourth box has "future project" bits ... after the project is done, spares go into one of the three boxes.

• macbirch
    18 years ago

When we were moving from our previous home DH said to tell the removalist to include on his quote the two metal shelf units in the garage and two boxes of bits and pieces. He would sort through it all and was confident most could be discarded. The day before the move he still hadn't done it. We were up till 5am, and the removalists were due at 6am!

I'm not ready to tackle the garage again. It's worse than ever, but I do take some of the blame as it has become my overflow storage area. Why does DH think buying spares he can never find again is a sensible use for his hard-earned money but buying a decent toolchest or something is not? I like your idea of plumbing, electrical and hardware. Sure beats plumbing supplies in laundry, plumbing supplies in garage, assorted tape in laundry, masking tape travelling round house, measuring tape on bookshelf, all the screwdrivers are here except the one I need, where's my hammer - I haven't touched it so look under the other stuff, etc, etc. The poor access to the laundry cupboard thanks to a badly thought out set of sliding doors that I posted about a while back makes matters worse. Hard to see what's in there, awkward to put things back properly. We're working on it. One day I too aspire to say those wonderful words IT FITS!

• lazy_gardens
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You don't have to tackle the garage. Just clear enough space for the three bins - I'm using banker's boxes - and start tossing things into the bins as you find them.

You ocld even add a bin for tools, just to corral them.

• jannie
    18 years ago

I had a closet of specialty cleaners, found things Imdon't even recall buying like bathroom grout cleaner and Guardsman furniture polish. Threw about half of it away, but I was happy to find two full bottles of my favorite kitchen floor cleaner. I can no longer find this brand in my local stores. It's called "Mop and Glo." Also found my missing garden fertilizer.

• macbirch
    18 years ago

I saw a modular outdoor kitchen at the hardware store today and one of the components was a drawer unit that looked perfect. Useful metal benchtop too. Rather expensive. But at least I'm refining my mental picture of what I'm after.