Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tre3_gw

OT: Marge , going to Savannah

tre3
16 years ago

Marge, my family and I will be attending a wedding over the weekend. We are flying into Savannah and spending a couple of days before going on to the wedding on Jekyll Island. Do you have any suggestions or tips. This is our first visit to the area and I have not done my research. Thank you.

Comments (11)

• teacats
    16 years ago

A gorgeous city to visit -- be sure to take a carriage tour of the city -- a great way to get to see some lovley homes around the main squares. Also -- if possible -- take the evening tour -- the Ghost Tour -- you sit in the carriage and the driver tells all kinds of local ghost stories -- great fun!

Fav places -- Lady and Sons -- Paula Deen's restaurant!

Also -- The Pink House -- a gorgeous home turned into an elegant restaurant (upstairs) -- and a wonderful old pub downstairs. Be sure and try the She-Crab soup -- it is divine!

Hope this helps a bit!

• tre3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Teacats. It is shameful that I have not done research on a city I have wanted to visit for some time! Wrote your info down, thanks again!

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Ditto what teacats said. Lady & Sons is my favorite. The She-Crab soup at The Pink House is very good. You have to go visit the Bonaventure Cemetery by the river. It is extraordinarily beautiful, and I'm sure this time of year is just perfect. All of the squares are interesting. The downtown is quite walkable and has tons of architecture. It's one of my favorite cities. Have fun!

Tina

• celticmoon
    16 years ago

Yes! Shecrab soup!!

• tre3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Soup it is. Getting in too late tonight to do anything more than collaspe. Soup tomorrow for lunch and at dinner. Any great LOCAL breakfast suggestions? TIA

• marge727
    16 years ago

Savannah was great. Ideas I put in my trip book were to either eat before the flight or take something with you. You can bring food but not liquids. The meal they give you is a miscule snack bag.
    We went to Fort Pulaski out by Tybee Island and ate at the crab shack --pretty good food but my 95 year old Mom said--did they film "Deliverance" here? Fort Pulaski is a brick fort complete with moat and tunnels. Interesting to walk through.
    The Savannah River parallels Bay Street and below that are steep stairways to the River. Along the river are old
    customs buildings converted to restaurants, bars, tourist places. Great for oysters ($9.90) a dozen approx. Breakfast in the downtown area was more difficult. All the booklets for the traveler are a help depending on where you are.
    Be aware that service is slow and puzzling. Market street had only one place Bedford's that had breakfast early. A bakery place was closed. We also went down by the River and a few places were open for breakfast. cobblestone Alley had breakfast -right near the Crab Fiddler.
    Several places did not have shecrab soup. I wasn't impressed with their Clam chowder.
    The Lady and Sons has lunch and dinner --its Paula Deen's place and is within walking distance of Bay Street and Montgomery. We didn't discover them until we left--I'd look for them first.
    Soup for lunch and dinner sounds like a good idea but I think oysters or steamed dinner might be better. How many calories do you expend eating crawfish? Soup wasn't the thing they do best. Also I ordered mint juleps three times, and the bartenders said they didn't know how to make them.
    there is a free shuttle throughout the tourist area--go to the Visitor information booth near the Hyatt on the river, and find out what stops there are, and get ideas for how to get to places. That lady in the visitor info center is wonderful.
    Check tourist events, I think something is planned for this weekend. Last weekend there was a garden tour of severalhomes.
    Have a good time

• artmom
    16 years ago

Make sure you get some pralines on River Street and watch the movie "Midnight in the garden of good and evil" before you go.

• blue_velvet_elvis
    16 years ago

I loved the she crab soup at the Pirates House. Also there's Mrs Wilkes Boarding House that has a sit down lunch that can't be missed. It's in the places to go before you die book. Be prepared for a LONG LONG line though.

• elizabethzen
    16 years ago

My favorite restaurant in Savannah is the Sapphire Grill - excellent food and good wine list. My daughter, who lives in Savannah says it's says the locals love it. We've eaten there every time we are in town for the last five or six years and never been disappointed!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sapphire Grill

• tre3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOVED Savannah! Would go back in a heart beat. Thanks for all the suggestions. Some came too late for me, some I planned to act on and then the trip took on a life of its own. Had she crab soup---yum. Saw lots and lots of the beautiful city, the gorgeous architectural, live oak trees I want to bring home, and secret gardens tucked away! Saw the ocean, got my feet in the sand. Lovely time and will refer back to these excellent suggestions for my NEXT visit (sooner than later, I hope!) T

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Glad to hear you had a great time, tre.

Tina