Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artmom_gw

time change

artmom
18 years ago

This messes me up for about a week. Good thing it's spring break and I don't have to get up early to take DD to school gaudawful early. Here's a clock for ya!

Here is a link that might be useful: official u.s. clock

Comments (12)

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

It messes me up until we change again next fall. I'm dreading tomorrow morning. Everyone will be up late tonight and gruuummpy in the morning.

Gloria

• intherain
    17 years ago

I wish this was LAST week, when we were starting our Spring Break.

My kids have been off a week, used to sleeping in, and now with the loss of an hour, tomorrow will be crazy. All 3 are still awake, saying they can't fall asleep!!!

I am a preschool teacher, and I am bracing myself for tomorrow. If it's anything like years past, we'll have a hard morning!!!!

On the positive side, I love love LOVE having longer days. In the summer it doesn't get dark until 9-10:00 p.m. Our summer evenings are beautiful!

• talley_sue_nyc
    17 years ago

I'm actually ready for this, this time--mostly bcs my sleep schedule is so messed up from missing so much sleep during the week.

• postum
    17 years ago

Why can' they do this at another time...say Friday at 3:00 p.m. - then presto! it's almost time to go home! And I don't think I'd have that trouble falling asleep.

DD was an hour late to school today. She is a nightowl (me too) and this makes life so much more difficult for us!!

• jannie
    17 years ago

I usually wake up at six,just around dawn. Sunday morning I woke up at 8:30a.m. - darn, so late, but,no, it's really 9:30. All day went like that. We ate dinner around 8:30 pm. Then Monday morning we all overslept. The house was freezing, apparently the electricity went out during the night and so did the oil burner. No heat and no hot water for morning showers. Every year, I have difficulty adjusting to the spring- forward- lost- hour. And, hey, if you have a night job from 11pm to 7am, did you get paid for eight hours on the clock or the seven actual hours?

• intherain
    17 years ago

Postum, that's a great idea!!!

My preschoolers actually were okay on Monday, but my daughter still is having a very hard time. It's all worth it, though, because I love having it stay lighter later. We'll get through this!

• kittiemom
    17 years ago

I love having the longer days, but I have noticed that I've been having more trouble getting up in the mornings this week.

• wannadanc
    17 years ago

Of all the things I was told about retirement, the one that never got mentioned was that once you retire, you no longer care one way or the other about daylight savings time. You get up when you wake up, you go to sleep when you are tired, napes are allowed, and life is very very good.

I love my clocks that are smart clocks and reset themselves w/o my intervention - just like the computer and the television/satellite.

• runninginplace
    17 years ago

"Of all the things I was told about retirement, the one that never got mentioned was that once you retire, you no longer care one way or the other about daylight savings time. You get up when you wake up, you go to sleep when you are tired, naps are allowed, and life is very very good."

I have actually thought about this--I'm a long way from retirement but that exact aspect of no longer being a slave to a schedule is something that seems like an impossible dream! My dad mentioned it to me too, after his retirement. The way he phrased it was 'it's really great to get up every day and know you only have to do what YOU want, when you want.'

I noticed this week my MIL (82 YO, loooooong retired) has had a much easier time w/the daylight savings time change. She just is sleeping till she feels like getting up, must be nice :). And I know she'll occasionally mention that if she had trouble falling asleep, or didn't get good sleep, she doesn't worry because she can always make it up. Sigh, that's the life for me. Someday, someday.

• intherain
    17 years ago

"You get up when you wake up, you go to sleep when you are tired, napes are allowed, and life is very very good."

Sounds heavenly to me, and I can't wait!

I, too, like smart clocks. Meanwhile, whoever set our car clock set it 10 minutes early, so I've successfully arrived at places too late. Maybe it's time to finally take my watch in to get a new battery! (Can we say "procrastination"???)

Sheryl

• jannie
    17 years ago

All my life, I have felt like an alien, a night person in the 9 to 5 world. I hate getting up early, hate my alarm clock, love/hate the snooze button. I dream of smashing my alarm clock it when I retire. I hate the spring-forward part of Daylight Saving Time, but I absolutely love that one fall day when we get 25 hours. Somebody suggested that the earth's rotation used to be slower, and a day was 25 hours long, back in prehistoric times. Call me a cave-woman!

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

jannie, I'm with you being a night person in a day world. My Dad use to say when I got a day job I would adjust. Let's see--that's been 35 years now? Still have never adjusted.

My parents never did the retirement thing. I can't see me doing it either. Active and interested in others for me in my old age. My mom finally retired at 86 and that's only because her memory really just got too bad for her to work.

I do plan on doing evening volunteering, though! Of course, I'll be 62 before my youngest even gets out of high school, so who knows?

Gloria

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz