Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m_n_a

why are closets so expensive?

M_N_A
9 years ago

a simple drawer like this costs almost $50. but with a bit extract, you can get a 3 drawer dressers. nothing great quality but the closetmaid isn't something great either.

{{gwi:25275}}

can I buy dresser with drawers and use that in the closet? anyone did that or saw that?

Also can I just use the drawers on my shelves directly and throw the dresser frame away?

This post was edited by M_N_A on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 17:38

Comments (5)

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

If you have room, there's no reason a dresser or chest of drawers can't go in a closet. Just make sure you have room to open the drawers enough to get to the contents.

• talley_sue_nyc
    9 years ago

The closet systems are expensive because they can charge that. And, because they're semispecialized.

You can absolutely put a regular dresser into a closet!

And I think it's a smart move.

Of course, you have to be sure it'll fit, and Annkh is smart to remind you to check whether you can open the drawers. (dressers are often a little deeper than a closet system)

I have a dresser in my kid's closet. It's one of those ultracheap ready-to-assemble ones, w/ the bottoms that pop out easily. But it's been working for something like 16 years. I'd intended to replace it when my daughter got older, but I was too lazy and it was still functioning.

You can also just put a bookcase in a closet instead of shelves.

Here is a link that might be useful: my closet--see the little brown dresser on the left

This post was edited by talley_sue_nyc on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 14:01

• M_N_A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank y'all! this is exactly how I feel. LOL. "The closet systems are expensive because they can charge that"

even ikea pax is so expensive. then I found this dresser for only 60 from ikea.

I also found this post. lt looks just fine isn't it?
    http://www.divinemrsdiva.com/2013_10_01_archive.html

• M_N_A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another one. 35 for 3 drawers. size is good for what I need too

• lindapye
    2 years ago

Closets are expensive because you pay for the showroom, advertising, receptionist/appointment scheduler, in-home custom designer, order prep engineer, factory workers, factory equipment, office personnel to order accessories and material, office personnel for accounting, installation scheduler, operations manager to handle issues, installers, trucks and equipment, gas and utilities, company owner/ management salaries, employee benefits, and insurance.
    Free closet quotes require many hours of time and travel and designers are only paid for closets that sell. The good companies use highest quality material and hardware and offer lifetime warranties. It all adds up.