Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scpalmetto

office supplies in kitchen?

scpalmetto
10 years ago

I do not have a desk in the kitchen, we have a home office where most stationary is kept but I like to keep a small supply of stamps, envelopes, index cards, post it's and pens/pencils handy in the kitchen. No matter if they are on a shelf or in a drawer, they tend to get jumbled. How do you keep small office items organized in your kitchen?

Comments (8)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

For a shelf: Get one of the small desk organisers with drawers and pencil holders

For a drawer, use a small box with lid, and insert dividers sized just the right size for your stuff. A small tackle or craft box with movable dividers would work.

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

We use a mesh silverware divider in our kitchen "junk" drawer to separate tape, rubber bands, household scissors, stamps, etc. Works great.

• camlan
    10 years ago

My home office is about 10 steps from the kitchen, so I don't have a lot of office supplies there.

I do have a magnetic "pocket" on the fridge that holds a pad of paper and a pen and a pencil.

The household scissors are in the drawer with all the kitchen tools.

I have a "useful" drawer instead of a junk drawer. In there, I have some baby food jars that hold thumbtacks, rubber bands and twist ties.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    10 years ago

We use a box called an ''artist toolbox''. Quite portable and inexpensive. Came from some cut-rate outlet place.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Mine is just like Circuspeanut - wire mesh silverware organizers. I have separate spaces for pens, pencils/erasers, Sharpies, scissors/cutters. It's not a huge drawer, so stapler and tape dispenser roam free.

I have a cabinet designated "command central" - there is a calendar inside one door, and a magnetic white board on the other. Shelves hold envelopes, scratch paper, phone books, dog treats, and a binder where I keep track of expenses. I also have a couple of outlets there for charging phones and batteries.

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

Ditto on the small toolbox-type plastic boxes with a handle (check the crafts stores, too, and places like Staples, for similar portable plastic filing boxes, potentially with a top removable insert for pens, calculator, that kind of stuff).

That way, if perhaps there's a bottom cupboard or a pantry with some empty space, you can stash it in there.

My files are in rolling, stacking bin setup (picture milk crates, but instead of plastic, a lightweight wire mesh), but they're up in my loft level. Downstairs, I keep a small plastic envelope with the current bills, checkbook, stamps, a few extra envelopes. Then when I have a stack of completed stuff, I file the stuff upstairs. (Most of my bills are paid online, tho, so I don't have a lot of paperwork anymore).

Because there's always scissors in a kitchen drawer and in bathroom drawers, I really need only a pen in that plastic envelope.

• jannie
    10 years ago

I went to a store that sells containers specifically for storage. There are many=Staples, Bed Bath and Beyond,Target,etc. I bought a plastic rolling chest with three big drawers and and one skinny drawer on top. The top drawer fits pens,pencils, glue, stamps, address labels. Drawers below are for paper, envelopes, gift wrap, etc. I keep my taxes, bank statements and household records in a separate filing bin.

• carolssis
    10 years ago

I suggest a small open bin or basket. Easily accessible, and easy to make dividers for each item. I once used the cardboard layers from a candy box to make my own dividers. Cut to size and all done. Stash in a drawer or cabinet shelf. I have a notebook with pockets in my cookbook cabinet, has all my owners manuals for my appliances. I use several plastic divider trays in my drawers, kitchen matches, twist ties, rubber bands, razor blades. All stashed in my plastic dividers and works just fine. Lay out your jumble of stuff, and figure out if you want the envelopes and index cards to stand up or lay flat. With all the other things, it should give you and idea of how big a container you need. Hit the dollar store for a tray or basket, (remember the cardboard for dividers) and get set up. Cardboard we usually throw away is something to think about, the back of a paper pad, candy boxes, cereal boxes, etc. Good luck!