Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celticmoon_gw

Too much stuff: my plan to combat hoarding

celticmoon
17 years ago

My name is Celtic and I am a hoarder.

A subacute, tidy one, but a hoarder nontheless. The "how many.." counting thread stunned me into accepting that there is way, way too much stuff in this house. It is all faily well organized, things are where they should be, but there is just too darn much of it. Absurd. Obscene.

I need to do something about it. So I have decided to confess and cull. My strategy is to approach this categorically rather than the usual method of tackling/straightening one small area at a time. I'm orderly enough, but every cupboard and closet is full. I've failed before at organizing strategies I guess because the organization is fine. There is just too much! I will select an item or narrow category each day, hunt and cull. Closets, pantry - too big a scale for me, but I think I can handle, say, Tshirts one day. Simpler.

I will focus on function first, but allow for beauty and sentimentality. I will ask the classic questions: do I use it, do I like it, could I replace it easily, etc. But for me the big question is how many of X do I really need. Think, Celtic, why 4 dog collars yet one dog? Like that.

And shimmering before me thoughout will be the vision of lucious empty breathing space cradling what stays. Celtic, choose: this dog collar or your vision? Like that.

Yesterday was scissors, socks and lipsticks. Half are gone. Those that remain have a specific place and purpose.

Anybody else overstuffed and want to play? Quick, go sift your scissors and socks! Meanwhile I will continue with shoes (a category you may skip, as I understand many are passionate about their shoes.)

Next up: coffee mugs? Tape? Belts? Cooking magazines? Hmmm, the possibilities...

Comments (128)

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You guys are truly inspirational! I've been involved in my kitchen organization but have been following this thread in amazement. I've compiled a list based on all the categories everyone has suggested and plan to address them. Still haven't completed my kitchen shelving/mini office area yet, but feel the need to coast for a bit. I'm trying to get ready for a long weekend away. Come next Tuesday, you can officially count me in.

So far, some of the categories I've weeded through: coffee mugs, drinking and wine glasses, dishes, serving dishes, pots and pans, small appliances, table linens, dish towels, candles, office supplies, return address labels, greeting cards, winter gloves, scarves and hats, medicine, under the bathroom sink, under the kitchen sink, plastic storage containers and lids, foils and wraps. Didn't need to do scissors or tape.

I just love so many of the suggestions -- Celtic's wrapping paper idea is genius! Such a nice supportive group. Your thoughts about your relationship to your stuff are philosophical and a breath of fresh air -- the voices of reason in contrast to the commercials and ads that insist we must buy more to be more. It makes me feel sane and appreciative for the things I have.

I think the areas I will need the most support and creative suggestions for tackling are: clothing and shoes. I just lose my rational thinking altogether when I'm weeding my closet or out shopping. At 50, I've just gotten a little lost in how to best dress myself. My house looks better than I do.

• tre3
    16 years ago

Tina you are truly one of us us! You might want to check out an old thread called How Many? Many of us confessed to the number of shoes, etc. we owned:)
    I saw the pics of your reorganized kitchen-beautiful. You will succeed in clothing too!

• quiltglo
    16 years ago

I, myself, wouldn't worry about an acid in the air if I put photos in chest. Of course, my own photos are stashing in envelopes, cardboard boxes, shoe boxes, etc. Just having them all in one place would be a huge improvement.

Gloria

• tre3
    16 years ago

TA-DUH! Sorted giftwrap, ribbon, gift cards! Stumbled across "Today I'm 3 card". My DS will be 22 next month!
    Some trash, some donations. Still need a better container for all. When I do the Xmas wrap it will be UGLY.
    Also got rid of a couple more bags of trash and a few more bags of donations collected. HURRAY!
    Quiltglo having all the photos in one (or even two) places would be a huge improvement here too. As each drawer, box or cabinet coughs up photos, I've been stashing them in one place. I envision a winter of sorting and putting them into labeled storage boxes or (gasp) actual photo albums!
    DO you guys mind if we start a Part Two?

• southernsurfergirl
    16 years ago

Thank you. The cable is out at my house, so I'm in a computer lab at school.

Celtic, if you have a windows pc, insert your floppy disk into the drive. Then go to My Computer and right click on A drive. Click deformat or defragment (whichever I forgot what it was called) and it will erase your disk. In order to use it again, it has to be reformatted, so no one can get your info. You might also want to buy acid-free boxes for your photos. And thank you for the fish.

I don't know if I can get rid of my letters and cards. I never look at them, but they're so sweet. I even have the halloween card with my ex's proposal message in it. My ex was manipulative, dangerous, a worse hoarder than my mom, and kept trying to convert me. So why do I still have the card? I can't let go of it.

OT: I have a job interview this afternoon! :)
    Plus I have have to stop ignoring my thesis paper.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fabulous work, Tina!! Are you ever a speed demon to catch up so fast!

Surfer, that is the funny part. I haven't had a computer with a floppy A drive for years. Let alone the the even older wider drive, whatever that was called, for the flat 5 inch black ones. But I got disks. Lots and lots o disks, LOL.

Gloria and tre, getting all the photos in one place would definitely be worth the trouble. If only because you will know where to put all the *new* photos that appear between now and The Big Photo Project. I consolidated mine into a big box o shoeboxes. First had it in a closet, now a LR base cupboard. I add more photos and strays without a thought. Having the one place makes it so easy to put them away without thinking.

Tre, I'm good with two, three, ten more threads. Whatever it takes. I'm hooked. And there is DEFINITELY progress, bit by bit. More and more drawers, cupboards and closet corners now have breathing space. I just need to keep on getting rid of inessential stuff, and that is getting easier to do. Anybody else seeing progress?

As I said in the first post: "shimmering before me thoughout will be the vision of lucious empty breathing space cradling what stays." I still want that. Bad.

Lotions and potions next up.

• marie26
    16 years ago

I went through 1 drawer of the filing cabinet and now have a box full of papers to be shredded. I don't have a shredder, though and never felt the need for one. Any ideas besides shredding on how to get rid of all this and the more to come?

Does all correspondence with the IRS have to be kept indefinitely? They concern the monthly payment plan we'd been on. Or can I treat it like credit cards, keeping only the recent ones?

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marie, can you burn where you are? RE: the IRS, I'm not sure. Is it 7 years, or am I thinking another staute of limitations. Anybody?

I am on a break. The lotions and potions search led to worse even than the socks that got this whole mess started!! Leaving aside the several bottle/jars that are actually "in play" at the shower, sink and bedside, I have unearthed and gathered:

16 deodorants (3 travel size)
    10 sunblocks
    3 hair volumizers
    9 hairgels - the 80's were great, weren't they?
    14 dental floss
    5 shaving cream (3 travel size)
    12 bars of soap
    3 mouthwash
    7 foot fungicides - ew.
    11 shampoos
    6 body creams
    7 body lotions
    4 face creams
    6 face lotions
    11 oils (essential, massage, etc)

Whew. And I"m not even counting the travel and sample size things!! I need treatment. I need a group. To make matters worse, I found 7 more chapsticks and a tin of 10 more ancient nail polish bottles. I thought I was done with those! Aaauggh!

I have realized something. 9 years ago I moved here from my former house that had no storage. I mean none. The 2 foot closet on the first floor I made a pantry, no other closets there. Upstairs Victorian shallow 18 deep wardrobe closets with hooks, pedestal sinks, etc. No storage. So when I moved to this place with its walls of builtin cabinetry everywhere, well....wheeeee. So happy to buy bulk on sale, but I just kept putting stuff away wherever. It has taken years and years to accumulate haphazardly.

Good news is that both bathroom's cabinetry and drawers are cleaned and in order. Most stuff will be used now that I know where it is. Little scarey that the bath closet is better stocked than some third world general stores I've been in.

Back to the lotions and potions to ponder consolidation vs storage vs dumping...good thing I'm not working today.

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Crap. Missed a cabinet by the tub:

6 candles, 4 shampoos, 2 shaving cream, 4 sunblocks (no, I don't know why they are there), 3 body lotions, 4 bars soap and 18, yes 18, various bath salts, scents, etc.

And that is all DH's doing. I don't even like baths. He is the tubber.

• marie26
    16 years ago

One thing I don't like about organizing. When DH comes home tonight, he'll think I didn't do a thing because everything I went through today was inside something and out of sight.

I haven't been at home for a full day until today so today I finally did a few things.

I emptied out 2 large ottomans and filled one with blankets. The other one is now empty. I have more blankets in the linen closet and think I'll put those into this one. I put all the computer stuff which had been in one of the ottomans into 1 box. I threw out a bunch of old travel guides that I'd been collecting. And I've gone through 2 drawers in the filing cabinet. There are 3 more to go.

I still haven't gone through the garage yet because it's still too cold. So far, this April has registered as the coldest on record.

Slowly but surely...

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great progress, Marie! I know just what you mean about getting finished, closing up the drawers/cabinets - or ottomans! - and it looks like nothing has changed. But it has. And you can feel it, can't you?

DH spontaneously said he can feel that the house is happier without being so stuffed. I certainly am happier to have fought through stuff I've been dreading facing.

I need something easy next. Maybe I'll just gather up the scattered sentimental cards, letters, writings, etc I can't part with and set them in the chest. It shall be my memory chest. Besides, I need the file space, LOL.

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Departing tomorrow morning for Knoxville, TN. Can someone help me relearn how to pack for a long weekend trip? I used to travel with one very small bag, but now I don't seem to able to go anyware without a full wardrobe selection. Oooh, it might be cold. Or, maybe I'll need layers so if I have a hotflash I can rapidly peel off a couple of tops. I no longer can look at my closet objectively and figure out what to wear in the morning. How can I possibly be capable of packing several coordinating outfits with interchangaeable pieces? Thank goodness we are hanging out with old friends in a very low key way. This is part of my closet/wardrobe crisis I need to address when I return.

Congrats on everyone's progress. Keep that list a'coming. I'll be raring to go on Tuesday. Have a good weekend.

Tina

P.S. -- Sorry, I guess I should have posted this on the "organizing clothes" thread.

• marie26
    16 years ago

When I did my major decluttering last year I gathered all the cards and letters and put them all into one small box. I also can't part with them. This time around, I'm still finding some more and when I finally get around to doing the garage, these newly found ones will go into that box.

When I finish the filing cabinet, I'll definitely feel relieved. This has been the one place I've dreaded cleaning out. I didn't even attempt it last year.

Tina, I wish I had advice for you but I also take my whole wardrobe and seem to wear the same items over and over again.

• tre3
    16 years ago

WOW Celtic that was quite the collection of lotions and potions. Perhaps of the keepers you can start finishing off bottles? I keep all my travel size things together. Saves some rummaging around when it is time to pack---like NOW!
    Tina I am facing the same problem with packing for 4 day trip! A possible thread topic for another time?
    Marie you are doing such a great job on all your papers. Even if DH doesn't notice the improvements and hard work it will make things easier/better for you all.
    I'll miss your company--stay out of trouble---keep lightening your load!

• Miss EFF
    16 years ago

Tina --- ok -- go at this slowly. I so understand the hot flash thing. You are hanging out with friends -- low-key, so grab a couple of pairs of jeans. Pick your most comfortable pair of shoes. One pair-- no more. Grab a jacket or blazer --One -- no more. Then add a sweater, a tee and maybe a blouse that coordinate with the jacket. A coordinating sweater set would be perfect -- you could wear the jacket with the shell -- the set together --- the blouse with the cardigan . Add jewelry to coordinate -- one color -gold or silver. Maybe a scarf to dress something up. And you are ready.

We don't travel much but I keep my suitcase packed with travel toothbrushes, toiletries, aspirin, travel hairdryer, hairbrushes and combs at all times. Its a good way to keep some of the stuff everyone is de-cluttering for a purpose. And it is in one place and ready to go and I don't forget anything.

Cathy

• marie26
    16 years ago

Cathy wrote: We don't travel much but I keep my suitcase packed with travel toothbrushes, toiletries, aspirin, travel hairdryer, hairbrushes and combs at all times. Its a good way to keep some of the stuff everyone is de-cluttering for a purpose. And it is in one place and ready to go and I don't forget anything.

That is a great hint. One I'd never thought of. DH went out of town last week and we were scrambling to put together a toiletry bag. I'm going to follow your advice and have one ready next time.

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We have set of toiletries in each bathroom, and DH keeps a third set at his Y locker and a fourth in a ditty bag he uses for swimming or travel. I keep a travel bag with sample sizes ready to go.

Wouldn't you know that *all* have needed shaving cream or deodorant at the same time?! I think that fed into my stockpiling. But I way overdid it. This morning I talked to Purple Heart and will send off some of the new shampoo, shave cream, etc. Frankly, I don't think we will live long enough to use all that ourselves!

Letters and cards were a snap so I took on kitchenware utensils, small appliances, pots and pans, etc. with Alton Brown's method. Started a different thread for that. It's a whole other challenge!

What's next on this front? Something simple cause I am beat. Maps. I'll do maps.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

ah, maps!

The first post I ever made on this forum was when someone has posted their system for organizing maps: Put a colored sticker on them, draw the same color/shape ona piece of paper, write the map name beside the symbol, etc.....

It was really copmlicated. I said:
    -how many maps to you need to keep? how many places do you go on short notice, that you need a map for? will your map be out of date? Most roads don't change, but some do. How hard is it to get a map? Don't you only really need to keep a map for your own state or city, and the three surrounding states or cities? Maximum 6 maps, I would think....

-wouldn't it be simpler just to file them by state? In alpha order? If the state name isn't visible in the top 2 inches, then just rewrite it w/ a black marker (and for cities, write the state name first, then the city, and file it under the state), and rubber-band them together. Then you can just flip through the top edges to find the one you need?

Why have a separate list, etc?

Good luck with yours!

• minet
    16 years ago

"outdated computer manuals and diskettes"

This is an area I need to address, and am very reluctant to do so. I should probably go over this with my husband to make sure I'm not getting rid of something he wants/needs. But he's reluctant to do this too!

And, I suppose, I should put all the disks into the computer and see what's on them. Probably a lot are empty, probably more are outdated info. Erase and re-use, or offer on freecycle.

As always, my TOO MUCH STUFF is mostly papers. Boxes of miscellaneous papers and assorted stuff jumbled in with them. I keep thinking I can sort through them while I watch tv or something but then "forget to do it."

I'd like to participate in a photos challenge thread at some point. I need to sort through them all but I need some motivation to do it. Maybe next winter, as you've suggested, unless someone wants to get started sooner ... ?

surfer girl - "So long and thanks for all the fish" - brings back memories. Used to be my tagline too. (It's the name of a book by Douglas Adams, for those who aren't familiar with it.)

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maps was nothing. A shoebox full.

Ah, but today the garage beckons.....

LOL, think that closed storage is optimally deployed?! I'll start by filling the uppers better: Tall on left for garden, then left upper seasonal (my hats and gloves box is ready to go up there), center tools, and right kitchen overflow. Cull as I go. There's a lot of junk got put there when we moved in 9 years ago.

• quiltglo
    16 years ago

celtic, I hate to burst your bubble, but that garage looks better than ours when I'm really proud of ours being organized. Hmm...I think I'd just settle back with a good book. Looks like you're already done.

Gloria

• marie26
    16 years ago

Celtic, I was going to write the same thing as Gloria. It looks done to me, too.

• jamielovescoffee__az
    16 years ago

Ditto what guiltglo and marie wrote! I thing I'll start a new thread with pics of my garage. A three-car garage with, you guessed it, no space to park even ONE car.

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, no, no, ladies. THIS is done (Left to right, garden, seasonal & wall ttreatments, tools, kitchen):

Close her up, and there you have it!

And you can get from the car to the door without tripping on something. And open the cabinet doors. And things don't spill out. Yay!

I'm having a well deserved beer and watching the ball game!

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

Great job!

I'm like Martha--I have to add SOMETHING. You need more shelves in those upper cabinets! Actually, you need more shelves in several cabinets.

Look at the cabinet w/ the shoes in it (and look at what it held in the "before" picture, and all the empty space, that's now filled w/ piled-on-top-of-one-another shoes). Now look over at the top-right cabinet in the "after," and see how the multiple shelves means, not only can you fit more in, AND it looks neater (nothing to be scoffed at, actually), but you can ACCESS that stuff better, bcs nothing's stacked on top of other stuff.

If you can't fit an extra shelf in bcs one or two things are too tall (as in that bottom-left cabinet w/ lots of empty space but something tall in the back), but there's a lot of headroom on one side, consider wire shelves that you could stand on one half of the shelf, or and under-shelf basket or an undershelf tray storage or even door-mounted storage that you attach so it sticks into the open space higher up.

And how smart you are with that closed storage.

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tally Sue, you are smart! I'm surprised your eagle eyes missed the under counter baskets way on the right (got them out of my reorganized pantry). I'll move one to that garden cabinet right now! And you are right that more shelves could squish into a few places. That upper left cabinet has DH frozen tundra snowthrowing garb: huge boots, wool overalls, parka, etc. It all comes down at once and all goes back at once. Still, if I put in another shelf, I can raise all that a bit, enough for the golf shoes and golf balls to slip into their own spot. Oooo, perfect!

BTW, we didn't put those cabinets in so I can't take crdeit. Came with the house. Quite a treat to have such space and fittings. Our last garage was so small, I had to go on the net and research wheel bases of cars to find one to fit. 97 Rav4 is one short vehicle! Still have it and it looks like a toy car in this big garage, LOL.

Thanks!

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Okay, I go away for a few days and Celtic organizes her entire garage! That is amazing work. You must be so happy!

Thanks, clink, for your suggestions. I packed much less than usual, but still managed to arrive home with at least half the items not worn. Oh, well, I will work on this. I love the idea of having a travel bag packed with toiletries and necessities.

I've unpacked and now thinking about what to start in on next. So glad to be back and in the comfort of my own space.

Tina

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tina, make your self a little list of what you actually used and enjoyed while on your trip - or wished you had brought - while it is still fresh. Leave it with your travel toiletry bag (you are making one to be ready to go again, right? A ziplock will do. TSA prefers that anyway)

I have been in the habit for years of traveling with an ancient beloved little 3 x 5 leather wallet/book thingie that holds ID, credit cards, cash, pen and a mini spiral notebook. Rubber band around it. Soon as I begin planning a trip I break out a fresh mini notebook for all my notes, use it during the trip, then on the plane home log what we needed and didn't need. Hope springs eternal that I will figure out how to travel light. (you'd think 50,000 miles on a motorcycle with a cubic foot of packing space each would have learned me, but regular travel is so different ...two suitcases hold such opportunities!!)

Anybody got a culling category? The garage fried me but I'm ready. I was actually considering unloading my 'organizing books', LOL. None of them worked for me! Love the irony.

And where is tre?

• tre3
    16 years ago

I'm back too but getting ready to leave again for 2 weeks! Celtic, once again, you astound us with your fantastic progress! Great job on the garage!!
    Love the idea for keeping track of what you wished you had brought and what you actually used.
    As for categories, looking back on your list, what about light bulbs or playing cards? Should be easy???
    Envious of all the progress you are making......T

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Celtic, I took your advice and wrote down what I wore during my trip. Noted where I went, the time of year, length of stay, and whether we drove or flew. I think the seasonal thing often trips me up. I find myself taking more clothes than necessary when the weather can be unpredictable. I travel to Florida at least three times a year and we usually go to Knoxville once or twice. I LOVE the idea of using a notebook to keep track of this info.

Yesterday's organizing went outside, where I picked up numerous sticks in the yard and trimmed the ivy. Today I'm raking and pulling out the porch furniture from the shed.

I'm in for culling lightbulbs. I'll also include extension cords, timers, three-prong adaptors, and the thingies that let you plug more cords into a regular outlet.

Tina

• tre3
    16 years ago

The lightbulb thing drove me crazy for a long time. I decided to break it down into two categories; what I call regular light bulbs ( with the standard screw base) and those with a small screw base. The two bins are labeled and sit on the top shelf in the laundry. Its a reach but I don't need to get them very often.
    Now I do have lightbulbs for fitures I no longer have. What do I do with perfectly good but useless (to me) lightbulbs???

• quiltglo
    16 years ago

List those lightbulbs on Freecycle or take to a Habitat resale store if you have one. I ended up with a bunch of blubs when we moved and didn't have similar outside fixtures.

Gloria

• teacats
    16 years ago

Sending out a big "Thanks!!" to Celtic -- and the rest of you for encouraging me along this pathway! :)

I've been neglecting the spring chores and finally got off my butt and cleared and cleaned out the master bedroom closet. Send four HUGE garbage bags full of clothes to Goodwill. Even the DH managed to clear out a drawer and I got a chance to put away his winter sweaters! He actually went through his jeans and shorts and decided on "keepers" too! The Age of Miracles! LOL!

Also switched around the clothes to summer ones -- AND switched the shoes. With just one walk-in closet to share -- our out-of-season clothes are simply switched to the back of the closet. Even cleaned the shoes too!

Hoping to get him to ditch piles of very old files next! From years ago -- when he was selling software -- and everything is out of date. Trying to get him to do "a handful of files" at a time! LOL!

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Inspiring, teacats!! I so need to tackle clothes closets. In a big way.

Couple years ago I posted on kitchen forum something I'd read on closet culling. Rather like the Alton Brown kitchen method.

*The super simple 15 minute closet overhaul*

STEP 1: Go in your closet and take 5 minutes to rehang all the clothes backwards (not facing backwards, but with the hangers hooked from behind over the pole rather than like normal from the front).

STEP 2: Live as before for a year or two or whatever. Hang clothes normally as you use them.

STEP 3: Take 10 minutes to ditch everything still hanging backwards.

It got a very negative response, including a stern warning from the child of a fireman saying how in a fire, one could get hurt trying to save the clothes if they were hung like that. Huh? Save the clothes? Clothes are the last thing I'd grab in a fire. This isn't the 1920's when your 2 suits were your prize posessions.

Sigh, unfortunately I am easily chided, and embrace any reason to procrastinate! So I didn't do it. Now I wish I'd ignored the naysayers. It'd be a piece of cake to be at step 3 now.

Decided 5 "extra" (not in use) indoor extension cords is about 4 too many. Will keep the 6 heavy duty outdoor for Christmas lights - takes 3 just to reach the fir way at the back of the lot. So heartwarming way out there in the early dawn (keeping 2 of 4 heavy duty timers too).

What's next?

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Congrats, teacats, on your progress! Need to deal with clothes and shoes myself, but avoiding it for now. I remember when you talked about that closet culling method, Celtic. I think it's a great idea.

I'm finished with lightbulbs, extension cords, timers, 3-prong adaptors, and outlet thingies. The lightbulbs reside in a drawer in the living room cabinet, but I'm thinking maybe they belong in the basement with the others. They could use a little more space. I'll need to clear an area in the basement, which is another task in itself. Every time I go down there, I see more stuff I need to deal with. For example, after doing the extension cords I sorted through travel books and maps, got rid of empty boxes from recent computer printer/camera/shredder purchases, tossed my college statistics textbook and two notebooks, and partially organized one tool box. Also went through my stash of paper plates, napkins and utensils that I buy for holiday and backyard parties. Pulled out all the stragglers, and my husband and I can use those for quick meals. Took a pair of speakers and put them by the curb with a sign marked, "Free". They were gone in two hours.

More yard work today since the weather is with me and my allergies aren't acting up. Gotta do it while I can.

Next category could be board games and playing cards? Aw, heck, I'll have to take my broken hall lamp out of the cabinet so I can get to them.

Tina

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I would keep more than 1 extension cord--My vote: 3 of various sizes (1 small, 1 middle, 1 big).

But I'm sure I have more in my closet than I need. Unfort. I have other things that need my time (folding laundry; addressing envelopes...)

Tina, I thnk you need to do those playing cards and board games--which means, look in the yellow pages for a place that will do lamp repair, and take the lamp there, so you can get in the closet. I dare you! Tomorrow's Saturday; surely you can drop the lamp off in the morning?

• teacats
    16 years ago

Wooooo -hoooooo -- cleared and cleaned out the bathroom cabinets ...... threw out tons of "stuff"

(including lots of "what the HECK was I thinking?!!!! items! LOL!)

Re-organized items into baskets for Body; Nails; Hair. Even made labels for them (I do adore my label-maker!)

Breathing deep -- and mixing a martini for Happy Hour!

Cheers!

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Teacats, way to go! Bathrooms AND closets in the same week. Awesome.

I tackled the clothes closet today. Like the kitchen, felt it worthy of a separate thread. Long story short: too much stuff. What else is new?

We are doing playing cards and games here next, right? Sounds easier than clothes. I'm in.

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Didn't do any culling but was able to find an antique lamp repair place in the phone book. I'm going to take my hall lamp there this week.

Yesterday I spent the majority of the day outside. In the past three days I have raked my entire yard, trimmed tons of overgrown ivy, and picked up stray sticks. It's been several years since I've done a thorough straightening -- we've only taken care of basic pruning and leaf removal in the fall. Bad allergies and work on the interior of the house have kept me from doing this, and now it looks so much better.

No culling for me today. My husband is off from work and wants to finish the shelving area off the dining room/basement steps, so that's the priority. Will remove the lamp from the cabinet so I can start on cards and game boards tomorrow.

teacats, good work!

celtic, I'll stop in and visit your clothing thread late afternoon. It's silly, I know, but I love being on the computer and I use it as a reward during breaks from cleaning . . .

Tina

• teacats
    16 years ago

Tina -- Way to rock out on the yard work!! Great job -- another rewarding thing about yard work is how wonderful any home can look!!

Must tackle the gardens -- after all of the storms here -- all of the greenery is way overgrown -- which is quite a change since we've been in drought conditions for the last two-three years!

Way tooooo hot and humid here in Dallas -- a drippy, icky day today but DH is determined to dig out a broken fence post and add a second one to prop it up. Must get him another cold drink!

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

Tina--a place to fix the lamp? Yay!

My husband is off from work and wants to finish the shelving area off the dining room/basement steps,

yay, INFRASTRUCTURE!

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Alright, I'm done with playing cards and board games. Lamp is out of the cabinet and ready to go to the shop.

I must associate smoking with card and game playing, because this is where I had stored the remaining supply of ashtrays. Haven't smoked in almost 10 years and most people I know don't, but I keep a few on hand for parties so people can take it outside. Stored near the cards/games is our art and drawing supplies. Weeded through glues, pencils, markers, etc. kept in a metal box. I was totally grossed out when I discovered mouse droppings in a bag with the construction paper -- eww! Threw that all right in the trash. Vacuumed and wiped down the interior of the entire cabinet. Need to mouseproof this area with steel wool, as there are a few small openings which must be where the critters gained access. Living in an older home, I'm generally less freaked out than I used to be, but I'm diligent about getting rid of them because they are very germy things.

What's next?

Tina

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Flower pots? Mine are a jumbled mess...

Pillows? I am hanging a clothesline and want to wash and freshen them next hot sunny day.

Meanwhile the closet went well enough that after forcing myself to do something else today, I treated (?) myself to a closetmaid shoe cubby thing I am about to assemble. Shoes off the floor. That is a first! Infrastructure indeed: double yay!

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

ooh, pillows--that's a category I really do need to rethink. I have 4 to 6 extras; I *need* 2 extras at least, bcs of the fold-out bed. But I'm not sure I need 4 (and it might be 6 up there).

And I should probably have a foam on, in case allergic people visit.

• teacats
    16 years ago

Ah yes!! infrastructure is soooo important.

My DH cleared and re-organized the garage during the early part of this year (we sell things on EBay and this is where items are stored) -- and we bought 6 garage-type shelving units (really strong) and those are standing two-by-two back-to-back. Really works -- more vertical storage -- and we can actually walk around the garage now.

When we moved into this house -- back in 93 -- we had California Closets do the closet in the office/guest room. Never ever regretted that money -- every inch is usable storage -- both for home office items AND room for guest items too.

• lobsterbird
    16 years ago

Wow, real shoe organization. That is wonderful, Celtic.

This afternoon I weeded through my entire file box of home renovation and decorating clippings, etc. and got rid of almost half of what I had.

Meanwhile, those darn shelves are just about done. My husband's doing some paint touch up right now, and I need to find a couple of shallow small boxes to hold some loose items on one shelf. Tomorrow I should be able to put everything in its place and take some pics.

I'm going to check my "master list" that includes the stuff you guys already did. I don't have any extra pots or pillows, so I'll play catch-up.

Tina

• claire_de_luna
    16 years ago

Oh! Can I play? I just found this and am relating to it in an extreme way. We just removed everything from three bedrooms to have the floors refinished and I am forcing myself to downsize before I put everything back. I was fortunate to start reorganizing my filing system a week before the move, and purged a lot of paper at that time. I'll confess the oldest thing I found was a secretarial civil certification from 1977, and medical records from two dogs ago that have long since died. (Filing is Not my favorite thing to do.) It helped when I read that 80% of what we file is never looked at again...and yes, that is true in my case! Before I bring anything back into my home office, I'm making da*n sure that I need it or I love it. When in doubt, toss it out! I've wanted to do this for such a long time, but apparently I needed an extreme makeover to push me into it all the way.

My goal is NO SURFACE CLUTTER. I've always had a fair amount of that, so this has been a challenge. I want my surfaces clear for anything I want to use them for at any moment, and to be easy to maintain. My office is all hardwoods (floors and furniture) and the dust is too hard to deal with, so I'm endeavoring to get 95% of it all under cover (drawers or closets.) We ditched a large armoire in the bedroom that wasn't utilized well, and a recliner we didn't use much to create some breathing room. I am dealing with everything you've mentioned and can relate to it all...from throwing out pens to bathroom/bedroom stuff. (I'm now down to a small box of pens where every last one works. How nice to go for what you need, knowing it still writes. I threw away more than I kept!) I've also purged gift wrap (Oh boy, do I relate!) along with the stupid gift wrap organizer which never worked very well for me. Instead, I have a beautiful old antique paper holder which holds two rolls; I'm also a total fan of white and brown butcher paper. (Along with a stash of tissue, which takes up less space than bubble wrap and makes great padding.) I saved a couple rolls of wallpaper which I like to use for drawer liner (or gift wrap) but I'm not saving Christmas paper any longer either. I did our bathroom potions/lotions when we finished the bathroom remodel, and the extra is stored in a small, two shelf nightstand cupboard. I refuse to buy anymore until that stuff is gone, and won't keep more than two on hand after that. No more Stocking Up excessively! Tomorrow, I'm putting some of my books back on the shelves, and considering a former cd rack for my next garage sale. (It's not under cover!) When we added a media cabinet in the kitchen, I allowed a couple of drawers for those and when they fill up, it's time to purge. I finally let go of all the cards I had saved (years worth) and frankly, I don't miss them one little bit. It's been a lot of work, but I'm enjoying the freedom that a little space brings. I've started a To Go list for the next garage sale with the items I no longer need and their location, so I'll know what to drag out when the time comes. Isn't it fun? Now if I could only brainwash myself into thinking organizing the garage would be fun...I'm not there yet!

• theszak
    10 years ago

Two beginning steps.
    1. Keep kitchen sink completely clear.
    2. Contain things.
    For example contain papers in supermarket oranges cartons doubled up in their lids. Contain small papers in shoeboxes. Stack doubled up oranges cartons. Stack Shoeboxes.

This post was edited by theszak on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 8:49

• TmF1
    10 years ago

Well I'd like to congratulate you all because the first step to fixing the hoarding problem is to admit that you have a problem! I should know, I've been there before... But being a member of hoarders anonymous (right here on this message board) will help us all tackle this problem together. Stay strong in the fight.

• musicteacher
    10 years ago

I cleaned out my closet and color coded and got rid of a suitcase and all the clothes I could fit into it. I still have 60 (sitxty!!!) shirts that all are useful and serve some purpose. I even tried them on to make sure they still fit. I have decided to go down the row and wear a different shirt each day. If I come to one and don't want to wear it it will go straight into the good will bag. It could take 60 days, but I will get this done. Tomrrow I am tackling two bookshelves. Goodby craft books that I haven't consulted in 15 years!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler