Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big progress (pix) and a small lesson

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 23, 06 at 12:54

Living room furniture was delivered this week! My old furniture left about two years ago, and the room filled up with boxes of stuff as other rooms were remodeled. It took me a very long time to get the living room to the point where it could be furnished again, so the arrival of the sofa, loveseat, and chair was a major event. (Of course, no one was happier than my dogs...)

The small lesson is that I was going to post here last week about finally "getting it." I felt I had at last grasped the concept of a place for everything and everything in its place. I had cleaned off the dining table and butcher block (kitchen island) and kept them clean for many days. I did this by religiously pouncing on anything that happened to land on them. Well, you can guess what happened next...

I got a little lax, and one item turned into seven or eight in the blink of an eye. I have to start all over again. I haven't quite "gotten it" after all. Not yet. But I'm working on it.

Here are the pictures. I'm not crazy about the pillows (too big, for one thing), but that can be fixed. Note refinished floor! Note painted bookshelves, formerly a startling blue! Do not note that I need to paint the windows, hang curtains, and put down the rug. Like I said, I'm working on it. :-)

Susan

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big progress (pix) and a small lesson

I love the furniture - I know it's new but it looks like it's been there for a while, just comfy and saying "sit down and read a book or several".

o

I love your floor, its beautiful!!

o

Makes me want to curl up. Love it!!!

o

Very very nice choices -- classic, comfy and charming!! Love the floors -- and the re-painted bookcases -- both projects are a great foundation for so many decorating ideas and projects!!!! Well done!!!

And your "lesson" about "everything in its place" --- is an excellent point ---- and you truly have "got it" as you recognize how easily things/clutter can simply grow out of control!!! And you have pounced and re-gained ground!!!

Again ----- Well Done!!!! :)

o

Beautiful, Susan, and congrats!! Much progress from when you started this whole project!

And I love that green chair - I have one exactly like it...very comfy! ;-)

Jamie

o

Congratulations! (I'm still working on reclaiming my dining table, and quite a few other things. The battle between "a place for everything" and "any horizontal surface will do" goes on.) Well done.

o

A beautiful room! My next thought was, Where are the rest of the pictures, from every angle!

P.S. My problem has been given a name: I'm back to "any horizontal surface will do" LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here