Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remodeling leads to organization?

Posted by EngineerChic (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 12 at 11:52

It seems so counterintuitive - but an impending remodel is really helping us pare back our "stuff". We are expanding the upstairs of our Cape but first we have to get EVERYTHING out of the upstairs.

We are staying in the house during the remodel, so we are living in about 1/3 less space than we're used to. In the process of emptying the closets and attic I am getting rid of a LOT of stuff. A lot of it is nice clothes that don't fit (I lost weight unexpectedly). But it feels SO GOOD! I think doing this in preparation for the remodel will mean we'll be even happier with our newly reconfigured 2nd floor (a few months from now).

I've been reading here for inspiration as I slog thru it all. You guys are an inspiration!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remodeling leads to organization?

Moving helps in the same way.

You have an extra benefit in that you will have this fresh space that you can look at and configure or outfit to help w/ storage. Install shelves, hooks, cubbies, etc.

One of my big mantras is "infrastructure!" (do a search on that word on the forum, and you'll find some of my musings)

It's no accident that the FIRST phrase of the cliche is "a place for everything"!

o
RE: Remodeling leads to organization?

When I was younger, I moved frequently. Every move was an "opportunity" to go thru all my belongings and discard things I no longer used. I can't tell you how many food containers and butter tubs I chucked! A renovation is like a move. You do have to handle everything you own, even if it's just "the upstairs". It gives you a chance to see everything, decide if you love it/use it and to find a permanent place for it. Have fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here