Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

choosing a shallow drawer over a deep on

talley_sue_nyc
12 years ago

The last puzzle in my "convenience drawer" section of the triangular closet is the light bulbs.

I've had this tall box into which I dropped all the littler light bulbs (appliance bulbs--3 of them, I've discovered, which are only for the fridge!; night-light bulbs--I'm down to only 1; flame-shaped bulbs for the DR fixture--why only 40W, and not 60?; other odd ones).

You can see it here (the tall turquoise box on the right):

I've been debating whether to go with a three-drawer unit or a two-drawer, now that I've put tools on the wall and eliminated a bunch of true junk.

The plan is to make my own light-bulb storage drawer to sit on top of the shelf unit.

Here's the current 3-drawer unit. See how much more space I'd have above it if it were 2 drawers?

(note: the shelf it supports is going away; and the light-bulb box would be the same width, I think)

I went searching for a 2-drawer plastic-drawer unit and had trouble finding one. I've seen them before--I own one. I spent some time trying to decide if I should move my existing ones around. Or whether I should buy a stackable single-drawer unit.

Then I had a light-bulb moment: Shallow drawers are easier to use than deep ones.

Plus, a lot of those bulbs are small. So I'll turn the top drawer into light-bulb storage and have a shorter drawer up above for the rest of the light bulbs!

After all, the reason I have so many appliance bulbs is that I couldn't see them easily in the bottom of that box!

This puts me a LOT closer to actually being done.

Comments (2)