Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
choosing a shallow drawer over a deep on

Posted by talley_sue_nyc (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 10:28

The last puzzle in my "convenience drawer" section of the triangular closet is the light bulbs.

I've had this tall box into which I dropped all the littler light bulbs (appliance bulbs--3 of them, I've discovered, which are only for the fridge!; night-light bulbs--I'm down to only 1; flame-shaped bulbs for the DR fixture--why only 40W, and not 60?; other odd ones).

You can see it here (the tall turquoise box on the right):

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I've been debating whether to go with a three-drawer unit or a two-drawer, now that I've put tools on the wall and eliminated a bunch of true junk.

The plan is to make my own light-bulb storage drawer to sit on top of the shelf unit.

Here's the current 3-drawer unit. See how much more space I'd have above it if it were 2 drawers?
(note: the shelf it supports is going away; and the light-bulb box would be the same width, I think)

I went searching for a 2-drawer plastic-drawer unit and had trouble finding one. I've seen them before--I own one. I spent some time trying to decide if I should move my existing ones around. Or whether I should buy a stackable single-drawer unit.

Then I had a light-bulb moment: Shallow drawers are easier to use than deep ones.

Plus, a lot of those bulbs are small. So I'll turn the top drawer into light-bulb storage and have a shorter drawer up above for the rest of the light bulbs!

After all, the reason I have so many appliance bulbs is that I couldn't see them easily in the bottom of that box!

This puts me a LOT closer to actually being done.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: choosing a shallow drawer over a deep on

Very impressive closet organization, Tallysue! I like the idea of keeping spare light bulbs in a box together.

o
RE: choosing a shallow drawer over a deep on

I love little drawers and containers for organizing smaller items. It really makes accessing them much easier.
As for the rest of your items have you thought about getting plastic trays that can be slid out for easy access to the items in the back?
I did something similar under my sink...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here