Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neil_w

Best way to store polo shirts: hang or fold?

neilw
18 years ago

I'm in the process of designing my side of the closet for our new house, and am reconsidering my storage of polo shirts. I have always hung them, but now am thinking that folding them may be better. Once the weather warms up I basically live in polo shirts, so I've accumulated a lot of them over the years (and probably should get rid of some, but that's another matter).

I'm starting to think that folding them might consume a bit less space, but my worry is that folding leads to more wrinkles. Perhaps the wrinkle problem is controlled by simply not stacking them too high, and making sure they're not jammed into a tight shelf.

Anyway, there it is, my silly little organization question for the day. What's the best way to store polo shirts?

Comments (19)

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

I was gonna say jam them into a tight shelf. Or wad them up and throw them in the corner.

I think you can fold and stack, as people do w/ sweaters but I wouldn't do it more than 3 high.

However, to fold collared shirts in thirds, etc., is just too time consuming to me. I can't get them straight, I feel like a clumsy idiot....It seems putting them on hangers would actually be faster.

I do fold DS's polo's, and DH's--but we have no closet space. And we don't stack them more than 3 high.

I'd rather fold pants than polo-style shirts. If space is an issue, are there other things that can go

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

I don't wear polo style shirts, but hang the DH's. I hang any shirt he or I would wear out in public. I hate to iron.

Gloria

• jannie
    18 years ago

I agree, hanging is best for avoiding wrinkles. I keep a supply of wire hangers near my clothes dryer, good shirts go right on them. And I love plastic hangers for hanging hand-washed sweaters and delicates.

• Julie_MI_Z5
    18 years ago

I hang almost everything; it's easier to find something in a small closet than wreck an entire drawer looking for the shirt at the bottom of the pile. LOL

Wire hangers were banned from my house years ago. Ours are all plastic now. Most department stores will let you keep the hangers if you ask.

• ysop1016
    18 years ago

Are you familiar with a "FlipFold"(as seen on TV)? They do a great job and they're very user-friendly. Tees and Polos can be stacked neatly and wrinkle free. Google "FlipFold" to see.

• socks
    18 years ago

I usually hang them on plastic hangers, never wire hangers because they make little stretched out pointy places on the shoulders. I like the plastic hangers with the swivel hook. I don't like the dept. store hangers too much.

• wannadanc
    18 years ago

Wire hangers went the way of the rotary dial phone - they were fine when that was all that existed - now, though - I have disposed of all wire - using only plastic hangers - but only those that have that little vertical support in the corners. Without that, hangers will sag eventually.

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

So hanging a 100% polo shirt will not stretch it? I want to make sure I don't ruin my new shirts.... I can't help but look at the hangers in the shoulders of the shirts and see stretching in the future, but if you say so....

I can't find this anywhere else on the web!

PS this is idabean's kid, in case any of you notice the difference in language.

• calgal59
    14 years ago

Since you live in polo shirts, then it seems worth it to give up them the hanging space if don't like to iron before you get dressed.

Personally, I fold the zillion polo shirts my husband owns and find that most barely wrinkle; it depends on the type of fabric and weave. The reason I fold his polos is he has over 48 dress shirts alone hanging in the master closet--and I don't know how many more in the second bedroom. What they say about women owning a lot of clothes...well they never met my husband. The dude owns more clothes than me.

The superfine cotton polos are the ones that require ironing; the thicker mesh will take a fold no problem. But I an obsessive compulsive; I iron everything before I fold it and put it away--including my bed sheets.

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    14 years ago

I hang; you can spend your time thinking about what kind of hangers you think you need so as not to "ruin" your nice shirts.

There is always the camp that says knit items--shirts and sweaters--should always be folded so as not to stretch. I can't deal with folding and stacking. It's on and off the hanger for me.

I do fold my weekend and gardening T-shirts, and so would fold "polo's" too if they are ones that I don't care about a little jamming and wrinkling--I do have to do some triage as to what gets closet hanging space, and for non-work, I don't give a hoot about a bit of wrinkled t-shirt and khaki outfit for errands, so it is probably fair to say that outside of work, I live in semi-wrinkled t-shirts!--but I hang all knits that I might want to wear to work, out to dinner (well, not for barbecue!) somewhere semi-nice, dressy casual, church and all of that.

• susanjn
    14 years ago

idabean's kid,

I've never noticed polo shirts stretching out on hangers. They just aren't that heavy.

• ronbre
    14 years ago

best way for knits is to roll...lie them on the bed..fold each side in toward the back and roll from the bottom up..store in a drawer or a box

• gayle0000
    14 years ago

given a choice with my closet space, I would hang polos, and save the folded stacking space for sweaters & nicer things in season that I know are better off folded.

But then, I only own 1 polo and it's a work "uniform" only when I do a specific task.

• sandys_2010
    14 years ago

Having just spent £50-£70 each on designer polo shirts at Mainline Menswear, I hung them up in the wardrobe; I think it depends on the quality of the polo shirt, most cheap polos crease very easily

Here is a link that might be useful: designer polo shirts

• caroline94535
    14 years ago

While living in California I worked at a large jail facility. Our uniform shirt was basically a heavy-weight polo. I had three-weeks worth of them and tried my best to take care of them. We had to pay for our replacements and I wanted to look "starched and pressed"...without the starching and pressing. I also wanted a large number of shirts because more often than not I'd need two shirts a shift in order to stay fresh looking.

I normally folded them (front down, fold each side in, staighten the sleeve, fold it, and fold once up from the hem. The "Flip Fold" would have been a blessing! They stacked nicely. I had a couple of large drawers to keep them in.

I would, sometimes, hang them. I'd hold the shirt by the shoulder seam and fold it in half, the back folded in and the fold line running down the center front of the shirt. Then I would drape the folded shirt over the bar of a hanger. It was "folded" and "hung."

Either way presented shirts that were wrinkle free and ready to wear.

I always pressed the collars, put a crease in the sleeves, and pressed the embroidered badge and name area, but this took only a minute or so per shirt.

• caroline94535
    14 years ago

P.S.

I forgot to add...

Neil, your question is neither "silly," nor "little." Thinking outside the box and making every "little" aspect of day easier or more streamlined is a wonderful thing to share with the rest of us.

It's all baby steps. We organize a dresser drawer; we make hanging or storing often-worn clothing easier; we find the perfect place for the vacuum so we can easily use it...it all adds up to a smooth-flowing day that leaves more time for living and enjoying life.

• Tricia
    14 years ago

Hang.

We hang everything except under clothing, sox, PJ's and denim & sport shorts. Less wrinkles, no ironing if hung straight from the dryer. That means less work for me in the long run.

• jannie
    14 years ago

I'm female. I hang blouses, anything prone to wrinkles or creases. I fold sweaters. Just my routine.