Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forced basement declutter

Posted by peegee (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 18:21

My nearly 12year old water heater's pressure valve went, flooding part of the basement. Talk about having to make fast decisions for sopping wet stuff mostly all "Yes, trash it".
Thankfully I had done a lot of purging previously removing one-thing-each-time on most trips back upstairs but had stopped that awhile back due to some mobility issues. I mention this as I had been recently thinking about the age of my hw heater and nasty consequences if it goes....but didn't act on it. Oops. It could have been worse, but was still a major inconvenience and PITA for me and my DD who came over to help and frankly did most of the grunt work including tediously cutting up a large carpet that was just fine all these years. Lost a few special things, too. Luckily a lot was up on rolling storage carts. But too much stuff made it harder than necessary. Hope some people will assess their basement storage choices....and take action if needed!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forced basement declutter

Thanks for letting us learn from your mistakes!
Best of luck with the clean-out.

o

Thanks, Talley! It's funny that I had been thinking about this possibility recently, but still did nothing about moving anything, or even replacing the tank....but it's cleaner down there now, for sure!

o

I had been getting the same nagging thought about getting a new water heater - probably for about a month. Finally acted on it, got the new heater - and am now wondering if that is why I always had water on the floor (luckily mine is just used for basement storage and not family use). Glad I finally got moving!

o

Been there a couple of times at my last home, but it was a broken washer hose and another time a running stool. I have not been one to store things, if I don't use them in a year or two I get rid of it. In this home I have a concrete floor in the utility room with a drain. I have everything up off the floors, tables, shelving etc.. Even in the garage I have the long heavy tables along the walls and keep stuff off the floor. It saves a lot of bending.

o

Sorry to hear about your incident peegee. I recall hearing something about the insurance institute saying they pay out a lot of home claims over broken washer hoses (which should be checked once a year) and broken water heaters. It's a good reminder for all of us to check on those things, they don't last forever, that's for sure.

o

Thanks Nessie! I have been religious about using the shut offs each and every time I use my washer so I have never been too concerned, but if I'm able to move, I want my laundry on the main floor, not in the basement....I suspect I'll be a little more worried about it then, but the tradeoff to not having to go down into the basement will be worth it I hope. I will also look into tankless - hoping that that option may eliminate the risk altogether? The fact is, I still have too much stuff everywhere, including the basement, and if I ever hope to move, I need to be working harder at eliminating s*t*u*f*f !!

o

It is essential that one can get the house with basement because it is the area where one can make this kind of things happy and warm.

o

I've lived all over the country in homes with and without basements.
I've concluded that it's better not to have one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here