Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jollyrd

ideas to re-use a suitcase

jollyrd
11 years ago

I have a suitcase on two wheels that has served its purpose for over 10 years. It is slightly bigger than carry-on size. Fabric, dark green. Two compartments. It's wheels are broken, but the body is still strong, no tears at all, all zippers work great. I did not even realize it had a problem until someone noticed that there were black plastic pieces (plastic wheels falling apart) on the floor behind me.

So I don't want to donate it to anyone. I don't intend to use it for display/shaby display. What can I use it for? Or is it destined to be retired to the dump?

Comments (8)

• skywatcher
    11 years ago

Maybe your suitcase could be used for storage. Possibly for sweaters or seasonal items, like scarves and gloves. Or it could contain smaller travel totes, neck pillow, extra toiletries as sort of a Travel Accessory HQ.

Basically, you've got an extra storage box that can lie flat or stand on one end. The sky's the limit!

• jannie
    11 years ago

I agree- use it for storing out-of-season clothes. I recently reorganized my bedroom closet. I actually had to buy a small shelf unit to store my sweaters and purses.

• talley_sue_nyc
    11 years ago

actually, without legs or wheels, it might be really handy for storage! Especially if there isn't anything left sticking out on the end where they used to be.

I like the idea of using it to corral other smaller totes, etc.

• Sandra_13
    11 years ago

Hi. I just joined GW. On Pinterest there was a photo where they repurposed a suitcase to be a blackboard (it was done so the "blackboard" was centered on the side of the suitcase). The suitcase had been refinished in their choice of color. If you're in need of a blackboard, that was a clever idea.

• azzalea
    11 years ago

Sounds like the perfect storage for craft supplies.

• JayEmVee
    11 years ago

My old suitcases are used to store off-season blankets and sheets, fabric for quilting, camping gear or even smaller bags like duffels or soft backpacks.

• bbstx
    11 years ago

For those of you who use un-used suitcases for storage, how do you know the contents? What sort of labeling do you use? Do you inventory the contents and tape it to the outside? Do you use a hang-tag on the handle? Do you put anything in the suitcase for air freshening, like a dryer sheet?

• bspofford
    10 years ago

A luggage repair shop can probably replace the wheels at a reasonable cost, if the rest of the bag is in good shape.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville