Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginlj

Need advice on best kitchen shelf liner

ginlj
11 years ago

We're near the end of a complete remodel on a house and should move in within a month, but it's been so many years since I've put down kitchen shelf liner that I was wondering if you could share your favorite types with me. I know this is a small thing but it's getting bigger in my exhausted mind every second!

Comments (23)

• duvetcover
    11 years ago

Cushy Cupboard was recommended on Home Decorating Forum. If
    you go to that Forum and type in 'shelf liners ' in the search section you will find a few threads. Can also google 'cushy cupboard shelf liners' and get more information.

http://www.cushycupboards.com

• ginlj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks very much, neighborgirl. I didn't know which forum was more likely to discuss it so now I'll try there!

• MiMi
    11 years ago

I bought vinyl tiles at Home Depot, just peel the paper off the back and stick them to the shelves... they are easy to trim with kitchen scissors also... They really do look nice . I put them in the bottom of all my cabinets in the kitchen, laundry room and bathrooms. It's very easy to keep them clean with just wiping with a damp rag if needed, mostly in the laundry room where laundry supplies are stored.

• ginlj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, that's about the best idea I've heard in a long time. And I had no idea they'd be easy to cut with scissors! Thank you! (It feels good to be coming out of the stone age.)

• talley_sue_nyc
    11 years ago

Here's the other thin-but-tough liner that I like for drawers:

CONTACT brand diamond shelf liner.

http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/37-188-shelf-and-drawer-liners/contact-brand-diamond-shelf-liner-101573.aspx

I used this stuff but found that it wrinkled really easily; in my situation, it wasn't stiff enough. But it might work really well in a clothes drawer:

http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/37-188-shelf-and-drawer-liners/almond-matte-shelf-liner-105310.aspx
    (It's by Con-Tact as well: Light Tack Adhesive Shelf Liner, 12" x 10' Almond Matte)

Here is a link that might be useful: a really big mail-order selection

• ginlj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

talley_sue_nyc, thank you so much for taking all that time to add links and photos. It is a major help, and now I kind of want one of each. Maybe I should just make each of my kids try one out at their houses first? haha

• quasifish
    11 years ago

We put wallpaper down on shelves and in drawers. It's tough and wipes clean easily- not to mention it comes in a lot of looks. The stuff that's in there now has been there for about 10 years and is starting to chip up a little in places- mainly in the pantry where there's a lot of turn over and wear and tear.

• ginlj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, duh, I'm such a concrete thinker that something for walls going in drawers, etc., possibly would never have crossed my mind. You people are the best (and smartest).

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Do you need shelf liners?

When we remodeled and got new cabinets, I saw no need for them any more.

• ginlj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Need? No I do not! But just like I don't need color on my roots, I will always be getting it put on there just to make me feel better. I guess that's why I've had shelf liner on my mind, too!
    haha

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Cushy cupboards comes up in the Kitchen forum a lot, too. There's a great debate about if new cabinets need anything, but a good number of people that line like the CC. I havent decided yet. I have so many other things to get settled before demo in April that anything that can wait until after will have to wait.

• ermachef
    11 years ago

How do I look at pictures that are posted on My Page? Whenever I click on My Page it comes up as an ad or saying the poster doesn't share information.

• emma
    11 years ago

I don't care for the rubber stuff, nothing slides across it. I like a slick surface to put dishes and food stuff on. Easier to clean also.

• ginlj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I agree with you, EmmaR. Right now I have some that is rubbery and I miss being able to just move things with a little push.

• Debbie Laird
    11 years ago

I put down craft (maybe kraft) paper. My kitchen is new so my shelves have a nice finish and this stuff doesn't glare - lined shelves. It is the stuff one would wrap a package in for shipping. It is available at Walmart or the dollor store in the shipping and packaging department. It gives a finished look and is inexpensive and clean. When it gets dirty beyond wiping with a damp rag I pitch it.

• ginlj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lodalady, does it lie flat pretty well?

• NilaJones
    11 years ago

I go to the flooring store (or flooring department of a big box store) and get a remnant of vinyl flooring, and cut it to fit.

I think it cost me $6 to do my whole kitchen, and the stuff is pretty indestructible :).

• emma
    11 years ago

I use the adhesive shelf paper but do not stick it down. Lots of choices in colors and it is easily cleaned.

• Debbie Laird
    11 years ago

yes, Ginlj, it does lay flat. It won't take water, but a damp rag will work to pick up crumbs and such. If a damp rag won't clean it, I replace it for cheap, cheap, cheap. I also like that it is a dull color and does not scream "shelf liner' when doors or drawers are open.

• bspofford
    11 years ago

I remember the shelf liner my mother used in the 50's. I was relatively thin paper, had a scalloped and cut out border design on one edge, and you folded that down over the shelf so it showed when you opened the cupboard door. It was a pain in the --- because if you caught something on it, like putting away a dish, it tore very easily.Glad that's gone by the wayside...
    Barbara

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

I like cork in drawers. Things don't slide around but not sticky like rubber. It is thin so need to handle and cut with care, but once down and cut to the right size it stays put. (i think i got mine at pottery barn)
    I also have the semi-clear ribbed from Ikea that is nice for pantry shelves. Lower shelves and under the sink and in the broom closet i use black rubber mat. It is used for non-slip walkways...very heavy and doesn't show dirt for the spots that get mucky. I can take it out once a year and hose it off outside or give it a good scrub. Lasts for years.

Here is a link that might be useful: cork drawer liner

• ginlj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That black rubber mat idea is genius!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!