Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mommy's little helper

Posted by stephanie_in_ga (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 8, 06 at 14:08

Since we've chatted many times about getting the kids involved with household duties...I have a funny story today.

I just moved a load of laundry from the washer to the dryer, with 3 y/o DS beside me saying "I want to help you."

Then I jumped into the shower.

When I came out, first I noticed the once full hamper of dirty towels was empty, so I went looking for where DS dumped them. His bathroom stool was in front of the washer. He filled teh washer with the dirty towels and a cup of laundry detergent dumped on top! He'll have to climb on top to reach the knobs, but I guess I might as well teach him start the washer. Can't wait to tell his older siblings that their little brother is doing a better job at chores than they are! LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mommy's little helper

Too cute.

Mine have loved to pour in the soap and pull the start knob. I really think my youngest learned numbers this way because he liked to set the time, too.

You'd think throwing in that dryer sheet and pushing the dryer start button was some big thrill around here.

Gloria

o

LOL Sweet story. I have a DGD who LOVES to load the dishwasher, put in the soap and start it. She's 5. Her 10 year old sister thinks it's like the curse of death! Better get'em while they're young! LOL

o

my DS loved to sort laundry--I'd toss it (from across the room); he'd catch it, and shoud out which washer it went in.

At 3, they get dangerous--they don't get into stuff just to get into it, but they decide that they are competent, and they want to DO things, and so they mess w/ stuff they ordinarily wouldn't.

Time to teach 'em, that's what that is--give them the whys, and hows, and cautions, etc. If they can learn all the details about dinosaurs, they can learn all about laundry, etc.

o

Stephanie, that is a sweet story. One that I can't identify with, since my kids NEVER showed an interest in laundry!!! Yep, start 'em young!

Sheryl (who teaches 3 year olds and absolutely loves this age group!!!)

o

my daughter does the same thing, she has to help load the dishwasher, clothes washer, and dryer.

one word of warning though, if your 3 year old climbs on the washer, turns it on, and falls in head first, he will drown. teach him NOT to put anything in there unless you are standing there. a 2 1/2 year old across town drowned just this way about 3 months ago.

o

I recall reading about a todler who drowned in a bucket of washwater his mom left in the kitchen after mopping the floor. Tragic, but one must always be careful. My cousin who baby-sits her young grandson has a pond in the backard and he is never allowed outside alone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here