Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_in_ga

Mommy's little helper

stephanie_in_ga
18 years ago

Since we've chatted many times about getting the kids involved with household duties...I have a funny story today.

I just moved a load of laundry from the washer to the dryer, with 3 y/o DS beside me saying "I want to help you."

Then I jumped into the shower.

When I came out, first I noticed the once full hamper of dirty towels was empty, so I went looking for where DS dumped them. His bathroom stool was in front of the washer. He filled teh washer with the dirty towels and a cup of laundry detergent dumped on top! He'll have to climb on top to reach the knobs, but I guess I might as well teach him start the washer. Can't wait to tell his older siblings that their little brother is doing a better job at chores than they are! LOL

Comments (6)

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

Too cute.

Mine have loved to pour in the soap and pull the start knob. I really think my youngest learned numbers this way because he liked to set the time, too.

You'd think throwing in that dryer sheet and pushing the dryer start button was some big thrill around here.

Gloria

• des_arc_ya_ya
    18 years ago

LOL Sweet story. I have a DGD who LOVES to load the dishwasher, put in the soap and start it. She's 5. Her 10 year old sister thinks it's like the curse of death! Better get'em while they're young! LOL

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

my DS loved to sort laundry--I'd toss it (from across the room); he'd catch it, and shoud out which washer it went in.

At 3, they get dangerous--they don't get into stuff just to get into it, but they decide that they are competent, and they want to DO things, and so they mess w/ stuff they ordinarily wouldn't.

Time to teach 'em, that's what that is--give them the whys, and hows, and cautions, etc. If they can learn all the details about dinosaurs, they can learn all about laundry, etc.

• intherain
    18 years ago

Stephanie, that is a sweet story. One that I can't identify with, since my kids NEVER showed an interest in laundry!!! Yep, start 'em young!

Sheryl (who teaches 3 year olds and absolutely loves this age group!!!)

• davidandkasie
    18 years ago

my daughter does the same thing, she has to help load the dishwasher, clothes washer, and dryer.

one word of warning though, if your 3 year old climbs on the washer, turns it on, and falls in head first, he will drown. teach him NOT to put anything in there unless you are standing there. a 2 1/2 year old across town drowned just this way about 3 months ago.

• jannie
    18 years ago

I recall reading about a todler who drowned in a bucket of washwater his mom left in the kitchen after mopping the floor. Tragic, but one must always be careful. My cousin who baby-sits her young grandson has a pond in the backard and he is never allowed outside alone.