Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patches123_gw

Min size for a mudroom

patches123
16 years ago

I am seriosuly considering taking some space from the garage and building a mudroom.

Right now, the garage opens into a tiny hall that is right off the kitchen. The hall has three doors and then the opening to the kitchen so there is no room for a bench and just a bit of room to hang coats. Since it opens into the kitchen, in an open floor plan, it always looks bad since shoes are piled up as are coats and bags.

So, how much space do I need for this? There are two adults. We like to each store 7-10 pairs of shoes as our bedroom is upstairs and we remove shoes when coming in. I want the shoe storage here. We each have two to three coats and then 1-2 bags. The there are the dog leashes and collars. I want to include a bench too.It would be nice to have some shelf space to store those big kitchen items that are used just a few times a year.

My garage is the standard 2 car new construction size so space is tight, but I am willing to carve some space out for this. It would involve removing the stairs from the garage floor and then framing in the new room, adding the stairs and installing another door.

Has anyone done this or seen this?