Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
senko_gw

Best closet organizer?

senko
15 years ago

I am planning to install closet organizers into my long and narrow walk-in closet. It is under the eves, so the ceiling does not go high on one side(one of the long sides). So, I can put a shelf and a bar at hip height. I have one good wall of 6-7 feet of normal height. So this is like a puzzle that I am planning to tackle. What would be the best brand to do that? Better finish quality as well as various different options of pieces.

Comments (8)

• pammyfay
    15 years ago

If you have a Container Store near you, I'd urge you to stop in for an Elfa "consult." The wood line is lovely (tho I have the plain silver metal). And everything is movable. But the consultants will likely offer some ideas you've not thought of. They are great puzzle masters!

• demsharkh
    15 years ago

Or better yet call out a California Closet consulant to help. It's free

• senko
    Original Author
    15 years ago

demsharkh: Do they try to pressure you to sign-up? I just hate to call them knowing that I will not get them to do the job. I figured they would charge 1,5-2,500$; but I could buy from Big Box Store and install myself to cost probably 5-600$.

pammyfay: I have never been to Container Store, but heard of them on Oprah. They are a little far for me, but I can go and see. How is the store compared to their online offerings? Do they charge extra for the consultation, do they draw anything?

• pammyfay
    15 years ago

The Container Store has at least as much stuff in person as it does on its online site (they also have a very tiny return/dent/discontinued area, just a few shelves worth). It does not charge for a consultation, and they do it on a computer, so you will get a printout, with dimensions and with the list of whatever components would be used. Be sure you sketch out the closet, with exact measurements of every wall or ceiling slope, before you go.

Right now, they have a 20% off everything in the store sale, a 50% off sale on select Elfa components, and they just ended their twice-yearly all-Elfa sale. If you go, ask them when the next all-Elfa sale will be.

And like Lowe's will do with their Closetmaid wire closet shelving, Container Store will cut to size what you need (I imagine the wood components, too.)

I did one small closet in my top-floor office in Closetmaid, and it was supersimple. Got the components for Lowe's. And I did my entry way closet in Elfa. Both work fine, the Closetmaid was less expensive, but the Elfa just looks a little nicer.

• olena
    15 years ago

I had a very good experience with www.easyclosets.com

Olena

• ronbre
    15 years ago

one thing i find helpful is the double hanging rods, one hangs from the other so you can hang short things twice in the same space..i also go for the high up shelves for seldome used items..i use a bookshelf for shoes but would like a better solution..hope you find what you like, i have the steel grid shelves you can HANG from

• woodinvirginia
    15 years ago

Best overlooked idea is to go to Habitat for Humanity (resale Store) and see if they have any left over or new closet organizer parts from un built houses. I was shocked at what they had available for 'dirt cheap prices' I bought 2 famous name closet organizer complete systems for literally pennies on the dollar. Then I came home & designed the space & DIY to get the result I wanted. All of these places that say you must have ventilated closets shelves & the like are pure hooey. Not all of their resale outlets will have these parts but enough do to make the "hunt" worthwhile. Everything in ones closet doesn't have to be "brand new" to get a pleasing result !! GLTA

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I was at the flea market the other day and saw some custom closet pieces. I didn't have the energy or time to buy them, but it's good to know they are out there when I'm ready to start building my closets. They were however in need of a paint job, which wouldn't be a big deal for me.