Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marie26_gw

I'm in my new city

marie26
16 years ago

The movers arrived with our things on Monday. I had packed a lot of my things myself and left the breakables, electronics, computer equipment and DD's room to the movers to pack.

Despite my instructions, the packer put things in boxes that were taken from other rooms. Since I had money to spare, they could have filled those boxes with extra paper. The few small items really didn't make a difference in the packing of the box. I still can't find my plug for the printer nor the paper tray. There is no reason it was packed for it to have been packed separately since this was the last box the movers packed.

I knew this place had a lot less storage than the house I came from but it's even less than I realized. My pantry in the other place was as large as the wall that holds the fridge and stove. And I have no island here which held all of my tall pots as well as my small appliances. Oh well! This house must be 40 years old and half of the kitchen cabinets are missing the 3rd (bottom) shelf. By that I mean that they sit higher from the counter than they need to and have only 2 shelves. I've unpacked most of the kitchen but am still looking for a necessary item. Perhaps it's in the box marked rotisserie which will have to sit on the laundry room counter.

I had a walk-in closet and now my closet is as big as the smaller rooms in the old place with 2 sliding doors. The bedroom closets here are half that size.

My biggest problems is the carpet in the bottom "family" room which my daughter is using as her bedroom. There were pet smells coming from it and the landlord had shampooed it before we moved in. The smells, though, are still there. After a discussion with the landlord, he's agreed not to wait until the summer to lay tile or laminate but to do it in a couple of weeks. The movers put all of her boxes in that room as well as others that I didn't have time to think about where they belonged. It's almost full of stuff. There is absolutely no place to put all of it while they do the floor so I really don't know how the people who lay the floor will deal with it. She hasn't unpacked her things because she thought it's easier to move boxes than dressers and cabinets filled with items.

I have to get back to unpacking. I'm planning on cooking my first supper here (an easy one) but I really need to clean off those counters. Then there's putting away the few boxes from the kitchen that I have no room for. Of course, the movers left boxes in front of the laundry room cabinets and I'll somehow have to move all of those to put away my excess kitchen items.

The other thing that really irks me is that I had organized and marked every box on the top and 2 sides that holds the books, CD's and DVD's. They somehow managed to stack these 5 high and made sure that my markings wouldn't show. So, I have to move all of these before I can even begin to unpack them.

I'm glad, though, that these packers didn't pack my whole house. I never would have found anything then.

Comments (5)

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I had organized and marked every box on the top and 2 sides that holds the books, CD's and DVD's. They somehow managed to stack these 5 high and made sure that my markings wouldn't show.

I love my husband, he's a great guy. But this is a continual source of frustration for me. It doesn't matter how many boxes, he will put every SINGLE one into the basement storage bin w/ the marks toward the wall.

I almost had a coronary when i couldn't find the breast pump, and had to go buy a new one. Later, I discover that the box w/ the clear markings is up on the top shelf, face to the wall.

I've taken to labeling all 6 sides. Which gripes me no end. Why is this so hard!

Good luck w/ the adjustment to the new space.

(Can you add shelves to the kitchen cabinets? Sometimes the shelves are nailed in place and you can't, but if the shelves are adjustable, you can have new ones cut at the lumber yard, and buy iron-on "edge banding" to put on the cut edges. You can use plywood or even melamine-coated particleboard/MDF.)

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    16 years ago

Even though you are facing a lot of challenges in the new space (or less space), you should also keep telling yourself, this will pass, this will pass. Moving is terribly unsettling all by itself, and you are likely to have frustrations and low moods, and no wonder. If you can tell yourself that you ARE having a low mood, but that you'll also have some better days, clearer house and actual fun, it helps you not feel like this day or that is your life. Remember to eat right and get rest--don't stay up half the night and get frazzled trying to do everything all at once.

• marge727
    16 years ago

I think you mentioned that the landlord shampooed? Does that mean you don't own this place? In that case-you are lucky. Whats bad is if you buy it and there's no room for anything.

• bmmalone
    16 years ago

glad you made it safely to your new home. I'm sure that after a few weeks you will have found a place for almost everything. Let us know how things are going.

• bspofford
    16 years ago

I've been wondering when we would hear from you, and I'm glad the move was safe.

Take your time unpacking, remember it took you three weeks to put it together.

Enjoy your new surroundings.

Barbara

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio