Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you avoid the dead corner in a closet???

Posted by brianadarnell (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 11:28

Hi All,

I am trying to find a system for our closets that avoids dead corners where space is wasted, but I also want to maximize most of the three walls for hanging clothing. Does anyone have any creative ideas or are there any particular closet systems that avoid the un-reachable corner? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you avoid the dead corner in a closet???

I have seen some that had a curved rod for the corners, but that just jams up the clothes on the curve.

Don't get totally hung up on eliminating "dead corners". Take a hard look at what is hanging and see if some of it could be on shelves.

A rotating show rack or other rotating storage in the corners might do what you need.

o
RE: Can you avoid the dead corner in a closet???

There are some similar threads you might be able to search for.

We built floor-to-ceiling somewhat triangular cubbies for my husband to use. The hanging rods on the perpendicular walls then attach to a wall of the cubbies. Though the shape seems a bit awkward, it is quite usable for bulky knit things like sweaters, sweatshirts, underwear that don't have to be folded precisely but take up a fair amount of room. These could also be used for purses or for linens for an adjacent bathroom. It all depends on what and where you have options for storing your clothing or BR closet-type "stuff." We felt that although we wanted the most hanging space, we would end up not enjoying the use of the dead ends, whereas with this arrangment, everything on the rods is facing you and easy to pull out.

You have the option of how much "space" to devote to something like this, as it can be sized as a generous cubby or the smallest that allows a decent opening on the broad side of the triangle to access the interior.

I think there are also options for staggering half-length rods, and of course using a "dead end" for seasonal stuff, long dresses or coats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here