Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
permanent labels

Posted by cerajean (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 9, 11 at 9:44

I need to permanently label six Rubbermaid totes for my church (the janitors have sticky fingers). I know "permanent" markers can be removed. My ladies guild would appreciate any ideas. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: permanent labels

Paint it on using a stencil?

Black sharpie marker?

o

What's the tool that people use to burn/carve on metal? Some sort of pen-like tip that gets hot. It would work on the plastic, even if it would be unsightly.

Or, something metal you could heat up like a brand.

Or use a pen knife or an X-Acto, and carve.

o

The tool is called a woodburning tool. A soldering iron would also work. Test on a small area to see how much working time you have before melting through the plastic.

Barbara

o

I'm not sure that anyone who is going to steal from a church is going to be deterred by a label but I'd use a stencil and spray paint designed for plastic. Most ordinary plastic bins have pretty thin walls and any kind of burning might melt right through the plastic.

Might make more sense to talk with the minister about a secure place to store your stuff or it might make more sense to invest in a lockable cabinet? A simple particle board free standing cabinet is about $100. I would imagine you could find a handy church member to assemble it and add a simple hasp to secure your stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here