Houzz Logo Print
jasi_gw

Closet Kit- Martha Stewart Living VS Easy Track

jasi
11 years ago

Martha Stewart Living Closets @ Home Depot
VS.
Easy Track

Has anyone had experience with either of these two? I'd love input on cost, installation, design and how well they've held up. Please give me your ideas and comments! =D

I want to say in advance that I really appreciate your time and consideration but please only reply with thoughts on either of these two closet sets. I'm aware but not interested in other brands right now. Thanks a lot!

Comments (8)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I'm shopping around for closet products and stared at these two versions for a while at Home Depot. Both of these products cut up the space into sections, so they won't work for me.

They look remarkably similar. The HD displays are mounted high, so you get no sense of how well they will hold up to wear.

You can look at their on-line installation instructions. As a DIYer, I feel I could put them together. Compare the warranties on the two products. That can be an indication of how long the manufacturer thinks they will last.

• jannie
    11 years ago

A Professional Organizer told me she doesn't like most closet systems, unless the shelves are solid (wood or particle board). Wire shelving tends to break. Just look carefully at the materials before you buy.

• leafy02
    11 years ago

Our home has wire shelving closet systems installed by the previous owner eleven years ago. They look like the kinds from Home Depot to me, but I don't know what brand. They have held up very well and are all in good shape--nothing broken or peeling or loose. That said, they are used for storing clothes, blankets, sleeping bags, etc. and not boxes of items, so hard surfaces might wear on them differently.

• Barb
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi there! I'm wondering if anyone has any info to add to this post? I do know that easy track has the option of what they call a "hanging hutch" which I think the upper shelves are 12" deep and the drawers below it are, I think 16 or 18" deep, and the option to have doors on the upper shelves. The Martha Stewart closet system does not offer a "hanging hutch" where shelves and drawer are different depths. Which is what I wanted, I'm converting a spare bedroom into a walk in closet/dressing room and the attached bath into a laundry room. I wanted a high end look. But I didn't want to pay high end prices, but I also didn't want junk. So basically the same closet but without doors on the hanging hutch shelving was about a third less. For my layout it was around $3200 for ET and $1800 for Martha Stewart, from good old Home Depot, so I used their design app and created my closet and ordered it. I searched for what the difference is between the 2 in case I really wanted the "hanging hutch" with doors. They both use a track system I was wondering what the height difference is above the track. I wanted them all the same height so I could use the top shelf for more storage. I was told from Home Depot that the top shelves use a pin that is inserted in pre drilled holes and the shelf rests on that. So I assume that is how all the shelves will be installed. I will come back and post after the install, might take a while as I am still moving into the house. In another thread about the closets, a poster stated that it changed their life, that's what I'm looking for, I want to be more organized and have an easy way on the second floor to do laundry. Our plumber removed the toilet and vanity and moved the washer and dryer upstairs and it was around $1500. Way less cost and a lot easier than I expected it would be, wanted to do the same thing at our old house, just life got in the way. So it HAD to be one of the first things to do at the new one. Hope this post helps someone else!

• Barb
    7 years ago

Btw, neither of these products above are wire shelving. They are both MDF (medium density fiberboard).

• Ron
    5 years ago

Any updates on the original question? I'm at this cross road as well now.

• Karen Bartling
    5 years ago
    I have installed a MSL closet and love it! I have looked and looked for the most functional, best price, decent quality, easy to install, etc. and found a year later that these systems can't be beat for us DIYers. I am seeing these easy track units now and they are so similar (if not identical). The easy tracks seem less expensive where I am looking. I will do the next closet- omg, I have so many..with easy track and come back here to report the differences. For now, I think you can't go wrong with either.