Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossyvossy

Please recommend a good paper shredder

bossyvossy
9 years ago

I have a little one that can shred two sheets (max) at a time which means I'd spend a lot of time shredding if I used this little one. I have decided I need a heavier duty model. would prefer to spend money in a model that is less time consuming and wont fall apart in a couple of months. Your suggestions appreciated. I plan to add my shreds to the compost pile.

Comments (10)

• graywings123
    9 years ago

This one gets high ratings in a consumer review magazine.

Here is a link that might be useful: shredder

• emma
    9 years ago

I don't know which are best, I just want one with an opening for my puffs. Most nice ones don't have an opening like that and that means I need another trash container in my office.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Below is a link to an updated version of the one we purchased. We've had it for 4 or 5 years. I'm pleased. I especially like the credit card slot. The only thing it won't handle is our Marriott Visa card that is actually metal. Ask me how I know....

Here is a link that might be useful: GoECOlife shredder at Costco

• wantoretire_did
    9 years ago

Our Staples will take papers, put into a large locked container (in my presence) then that container goes to Iron Mountain for shredding, for a very nominal fee. I think Kinkos may have the same or similar service. When my shredder dies, I dont think I will replace it.

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

How much does the OP want to spend to make compost additions?

I've burned through two of the cross-cuts in @15 years - and they got very heavy use. The one I have now just gets paid bills, brokerage statements - anything with account numbers, etc. I've gotten my $ worth from what Walmart was offering. The big boxes plus Office Depot, Staples, etc. have them in all price ranges, number of pages you can put through, and assorted other features.

Consumer Reports rated GoECOlife, Aurora, and Fellowes models, I think.

• bleusblue2
    9 years ago

Am I overly suspicious? How can you trust a company that takes your shredding away -- sure it's locked. Somebody unlocks it out of your presence. Please convince me because it would be a big help to me if I could just deliver pounds of documents to be shredded.

• bossyvossy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for your input. We went with a Royal 1600mx from SAMs, on sale for $75 til jan 25th. Chose it b/c it can shred 16 pages, cross cut style, and CDs, CCards and can run for 30 min uninterrupted. Had good reviews on Amazon .

There used to be a commercial co that offered free shredding every weekend but they moved too far to be worth our while. We will do statements, card applications, but will continue to take magazines to recycle center. The shreds will go to compost pile.

• elphaba_gw
    9 years ago

Our local Office Max has a shredding service. That's good enough for me. I take a sack of stuff to be shredded every other week or so. Costs somewhere between 3 and 5 dollars. Soooo much better than shredding at home. But then I've never been a victim of identity theft ... crossing fingers.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

If you can shread only paper, it makes a very good "mulch" and creates good compost for your garden. My problems ends up being I seem to always have a piece of some kind of plastic that needs shredding.

BTW, my shredder is the one from Costco mentioned above, and we have been very pleased with it.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida