Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommabird_gw

bought filing cabinets today - now to organize the files!

mommabird
13 years ago

I found both a 4 drawer and a 2 drawer filing cabinent at Goodwill today, $5 for the small and $10 for the large. I couldn't decide, so I bought both. They fit perfectly side by side in the closet in my study.

So far I have weeded out daycare records, records for cars long gone, and records for flooring that I replaced, then replaced again. My youngest son is 11 so it's been six years since I had a child in daycare. I've owned the house 18 years & have replaced the living room carpet three times, yet still had records from the first carpeting.

I've given one drawer to school/office supplies and one to pictures. I still have two drawers left. I'm so excited to finally get 8 boxes of files and paperwork organized and de-cluttered. For the past 18 years I've had just boxes stacked up in that closet. It's amazing that I only had to spend $15 to get a system that will really work for me, and I wish I'd done it years ago.

Comments (4)

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

Congratulations! I'm weeding out some office stuff myself, so I'm with you. Isn't it good to let go of paper you don't need?

• msmarieh
    13 years ago

What a great deal you found and how wonderful a feeling to get all that paperwork under control. :)

• talley_sue_nyc
    13 years ago

Infrastructure!!!

I'm a big fan of high-quality filing cabinets.

Unless money's an object (or unless you can find truly good ones at the Goodwill), I think people shouldn't spend a small amount of money on them. $125 minimum.

They need to be full extension, w/ tough drawer glides.

If you truly can't get a good one to start w/, or if you're experimenting, then the cheaply made version is better than nothing. but oh my, how wonderful to have a DECENT filing cabinet.

Way to go, mommabird!

Paper does hang about. That's because when you filed it, you needed it. But once you didn't need it anymore, it's not like the paper walked out and tapped you on the shoulder to say, "Hey, toss me out!"

• mvastian
    13 years ago

LOL, Talley Sue - How true!

Maria