Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfrorelo

Hello - coming aboard, just wanted to introduce myself

jfrorelo
18 years ago

I've been hanging out on the kitchen forum for a few months now and recognize some of the same lovely people are posting here as well. I'd like to join in and thought it might be polite to say 'hi' first. This being New Years - my resolutions involve decluttering and having a nice, clean home and car. Though the car thing might be stretching it, LOL. My DD, who is 6, commented that the new kitchen makes the rest of the house look bad (ouch!).

Background - I like things organized, but I hate cleaning. In other words I'd rather sort out my sock drawer than mop or dust. If I don't have the time or energy to organize something or put it away 'right' I will procrastinate and set it aside for later. So this combination means I have some clutter and some dirt to deal with. Add an easily distracted DD with every toy and book and craft kit on earth and a good-hearted DH who can't be bothered to put anything away and can't see dirt. This combination means I have some clutter and some dirt to deal with. I work full time and I like to view my 'time off' from work as relaxation time, not chore time. I also tend to get obsessed with creative projects, like gardening or remodeling, etc. so any free time or energy doesn't get directed towards cleaning up. This combination means I have some clutter and some dirt to deal with.

Hmmm...is there a pattern here? Actually, this turned out to be a good exercise - writing this introduction, I feel like I'm at AA or similar type of meeting admitting my problem!

Anyway, hello!

Comments (12)

• maddiemom6
    18 years ago

Hello to you too!

I am sitting here trying to downsize into the compact size Franklin Planner and it's not going well. I just HAVE to have something smaller.. and I washed out of *Palm* 101 for the zillionth time. I have 5 homecshooled kids, 3 dogs and two jobs... so this means I also have clutter and dirt to deal with... oh!..and dust bunnies the size of jack rabbits!

Welcome!

Maddiemom

• marie26
    18 years ago

It does feel good to put down those things we know are our problem areas. Somehow, at least for me, it keeps me focused on my problems and solutions.

We all have different ways of "attacking" the problems at hand but in the end we all do try to cheer each other on. This is what helps me the most, knowing that by reporting my progress, I am being held accountable.

Welcome!

• stephanie_in_ga
    18 years ago

Hello. Sometimes I think of my problem like that, too, something I need to confess. But I've decided no more, I'm not apologizing for myself. Neat and organized are not my better qualities, but fortunately I do have better qualities. I am trying, that's all I can say for myself.

I have four kids, 3 to 12, and 2 cats, and stay at home. Tho DH will tell you I take the "at home" out of that phrase.

I cleaned my van out on a sunny day we had after Christmas. My kids asked if we were taking a trip. Can't it just be clean because?? Because it makes me feel good!

• jfrorelo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the welcome. I was just musing yesterday that dust bunnies are the best pets! The key, I think, is going to be attitude and you've all pointed out really valuable aspects - it's not a 'problem' rather an opportunity, do what works for you not what works for everyone else, have help and support and laugh!

• Julie_MI_Z5
    18 years ago

Welcome!

We sound like twins! I also like things organized but hate cleaning. My sock drawer is beautiful, my kitchen floor needs to be washed. I work full time and also have a DH who doesn't put things away and can't see dirt. We have 2 boys who take after their dad.

Winter is my biggest de-junking time. Starting in May I'll be out in the flowers again!

And as for projects... I have 2 football banners on a table in the basement that I need to sew together for next season. I think they've been there since Thanksgiving when I started in major declutter mode.

What's truly amazing is how this year I'm getting rid of so much stuff that I kept during the mid-winter declutter last year and the year before!

• kittiemom
    18 years ago

Hello & welcome! I'm really bad about procrastinating too. I work full-time (more than 40 hrs/week). I find that I'm pretty tired when I get home & can't seem to make much progress in the evenings. I also have a DH who is pretty messy, although he's made a lot of improvement. We also have a house that's we're DIY remodeling, which adds to the clutter.

• mvastian
    18 years ago

Hi J, and welcome!

It seems most of us prefer organizing things to cleaning. However, cleaning involves organizing our time and effort so we can make it more manageable and therefore more likely to happen. Also, by decluttering, organizing, streamlining and acting with more thought, you can have less to clean. This is what I try to do, though I'm lucky in that my DH is neat and clean...

Great to have you here!

Maria in GR

• steve_o
    18 years ago

Hello, J. I'm the resident Y-chromosome here. :-)

Yes, cleaning is not the fun part. And we always seem to be doing it (in my case, even for one. Gotta find out who keeps messing up things around here). This is a very good group at supporting your efforts and for commiserating when you slip (as we all do). Lots of good ideas to solve unique problems, too. Welcome!

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

welcome, jfrorelo!

I have a lot of clutter and a lot of dirt--just so's you know.

I chuckled at the AA reference, and I agree, even though we don't need to apologize, sometimes those "this is my problem" statements really help to focus us.

We really do try to cheer each other one--and encourage, applaud, etc.

We've always got lots of ideas, and I think we get pretty good at explaining WHY our solutions work for us, so that might help other people decide if our solutions can adapt for them. You'll see lots of ways people tackle problems.

I've been working on the car thing--I'm trying to train my kids (and me) that we NEVER leave anything in the car, not a single wrapper. I make them bring it w/ them in their pocket, or in whatever shopping we're bringing in (that's the best).

I know someone else who makes it a point to empty out their car when they're getting gas. They're stopped, and waiting, so they scoop up any garbage, etc., and throw it out in the trash can that is usually nearby.

And someone here once suggested taking a paper-towel tube and stuffing it w/ plastic grocery bags, and stashing it under the seat. Then, you can use that to corral stuff and bring it in from the car. Of course, you'll have to fill the tube up again now and then..

So, pick a specific problem if you'd like to, start a thread to get ideas, and plow right in.

Or, just keep posting here.

• jfrorelo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

I have to laugh at Steve's post because when I did live alone I could never figure out why some of the clean dishes I took out of the cupboard still had a little bit of gunk on them. Sure, that used to happen when I had roomates but how on earth could it be happening now? Gunk fairies? Or when I got mad at DH about 10 years ago re: gunked up toothpaste cap and vowed I would have my own toothpaste that I could keep in a civilized state. Darned if it didn't get gunked up, LOL!

• emmhip
    18 years ago

Hi J-
    I am pretty new here myself, I am the one with the laundry problems LOL!

Pretty much everyone here is very nice and helpful and can always lend an idea. I have made a lot of progress since first posting here, and at least this board is active!

Good luck with your projects. I too will admit to clutter and dirt. We should make t-shirts!

• esga
    18 years ago

Welcome. I think you'll love this forum. I have learned so much from other people here! I work full time also and am on our small city's City Council, plus I love to entertain. But I hate to clean, and even though I have had some organizing successes, it doesn't seem to make much difference. you'll see in another thread that I have just decided to work with a professional organizer.