Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

Are you recovered from Christmas?

talley_sue_nyc
11 years ago

I'm not--just yesterday I got DD (home from 1st year at college) to help me wind up the very few Christmas lights we had out, and I packed away the Christmas mugs (I really should ditch those--but this year we got them out and used them).

And tonight I have to take the tree stand downstairs. (I need to dig out new screws to go in it, bcs the ones we use don't all have the same heads, etc. We've decided to standardize, so I'm going to do it NOW, not next year.)

Then I need to get DH to take the boxes back to the storage bin (which we hope to eliminate this year).

Comments (17)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Yep - it all disappeared around the Epiphany.
    I even managed to purge a few things, and those are already at the Thrift Shop.

• jannie
    11 years ago

Yes, my Christmas decorations are all down and put away.The holiday food is all eaten, except for half a ham still in my freezer. I'm in the process of sorting out my bedroom closet. I'm mostly done but realize I own Too Many Clothes and it's time to donate some.

• camlan
    11 years ago

The tree is down, but I still need to get the box down into the basement. The cookies have finally all been eaten. The decorations are all down and neatly packed away--this year the boxes are all labeled!

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

The joy of being an atheist ... :)

No decor to deal with.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Ah, but there is also joy in the decor!

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Yes. And I love seeing it in OPH (other people's houses)

• quasifish
    11 years ago

Yes, I'm always relieved and ready when the ornaments and decorations come down. Love it when they go up though.

This year, DD(6) asked if we could take them down on the 5th. I was surprised that she suggested helping, and happy for her participation and no unhappiness that Christmas was over.

We also managed to purge and compact a few things. I've already moved on to some craft supplies and have a large trashbag of those things ready to go to charity. It was a fun holiday season, but it's nice to be back to normal too.

• lionors
    11 years ago

Ah, I remember how lovely it was to have Christmas helpers! Both my kids had to leave me on the 26th, so I took it all down by myself on New Years Day.

But I am still finding stray needles all over the house!

• mommabird
    11 years ago

Youngest DS' birthday is 12/29. I always take everything but the outside lights down by the 28th. I want him to have a real birthday, not a "leftover, in the shadow of Xmas" birthday every year.

I usually leave the outside lights up all winter to combat the dreary OH winter. Last Sun it was 67 degrees here so I decided to take advantage of the weather and take them down.

• skywatcher
    11 years ago

I, too, purged and reassessed my decor this year. I found a box marked "Unused Decor" in my Christmas closet. Um, okay. I guess I thought I was organizing by labeling the box when I stored it.

• bspofford
    11 years ago

I think so....DH and I went to our primary home in Maine the week before Christmas. We have no kids, so we decided to head back to Virginia on Christmas day, as there was a huge snowstorm expected Thursday, and we knew the day after Christmas would have heavy traffic.

While going in and out to pack the car, I missed the first of two steps out my kitchen door, rolled my left ankle, and took a header off the porch. I broke my fall with my left hand mostly, hit on my knees, but managed to avoid hitting my head. It had started to snow, maybe 1/2 inch on the ground, and I was unable to get up as both wrists hurt like hell. I knocked and knocked on the side of the house, hoping DH would think someone was knocking on the door, and help me get up. Uh-uh. I laid there for a couple of minutes and knew when I started thinking it was sort of comfortable there that I HAD to get up!! I finally managed to get up and in the house, where hubby came out of the bathroom and asks "Are you ready to go yet?"

Longer story short, I drove back to VA with a cold pack on my left wrist, a bandage over the hole where I dug pieces of gravel out of the heel of my hand, and the motrin handy.

The scab came off yesterday so I must be over it!

Barbara

• dreamgarden
    11 years ago

bspofford-"While going in and out to pack the car, I missed the first of two steps out my kitchen door, rolled my left ankle, and took a header off the porch."

OMG. How painful. Even though hubby was late checking up on you at least you weren't alone. I'm glad your ok.

We took down our decorations a few days ago. We used less this year than we did last. Not as much garland or ribbons. Makes it easier. Got a spot in the basement for them.

• cross_stitch
    11 years ago

Yes, and doesn't it feel good to put that vacuum cleaner away after chasing the last of the needles? All my decorations are down and packed. But I hate to find those stragglers. This time it was the dinner napkins I had soaked, washed and dried, but needed to iron (don't really mind because they are so pretty -- dress Stewart -- and they only come out for Christmas). Also a little string of gingerbread people who are draped like garland from the guest bathroom mirror. And the holiday potholders. Oh, and refrigerator magnets. Gosh, I need another box just for the latecomers.

One more thing left over from Christmas: my aggravation at people who know I am trying to lose weight (and have lost a bunch) yet insist on giving candy for any gift? What are they (not) thinking?

There, I feel better now, happy new year!

• jannie
    11 years ago

I have found pine needles in my house as late as July. Hate to say it, I now put up a fake tree.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

"One more thing left over from Christmas: my aggravation at people who know I am trying to lose weight (and have lost a bunch) yet insist on giving candy for any gift? What are they (not) thinking? "

Ha.
    I have tried for decades to have a family celebration that does not include stuffing oneself to the gills with desserts and other unhealthy foods, but no go.

I do not understand why I can't visit someone or have someone visit me without having food be a part of things.
    Unpopular opinion, but it is mine!

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

I gathered up all the candy, and cookies, and tins 'o junk food that people generously gifted us...

and took it all to the local men's shelter.

It was greatly appreciated.

• claire_de_luna
    11 years ago

Hi Tally Sue! No. I'm not recovered.

Last year I got organized (or so I thought) and put my most used stuff in Christmas bins that I finally got labeled. I thought I was doing so well, since it was easy to figure out what I wanted to get out over Christmas. This year, I realized there were a few problems with my "system", and am finally ditching some bins I absolutely hate. (They make me mad every time I see them so it's time for them to go.) I went and bought bins all the same size after Christmas for stacking, and they're ready to put away, once I get them labeled.

Wrapping paper, tissue and Christmas cards are taking up too much prime real estate, so one of my bins is for that kind of stuff to get it out of my way.

I want to move the decorations from the attic (too hot/cold) to the basement which is a horrifying thought, when I think about what needs to take place down there.