Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peegee_gw

omg! must must see!

peegee
12 years ago

Stop by frequently to lurk, and just heard on another forum for the first time about the H oliday forum, which is found under Crafts and Hobbies. The only post I looked at is entitled "You HAVE to see this". (you can guess now that I don't know how to link) Anyway the link there is" Hoarding: buried in dishes & decor". And I'm still stunned. A woman provides a photographic tour of all her stuff stored meticulously, but oh my lord it has to be seen. Equally disturbing to the vast, ginourmous I-hope-the-joists-are-reinforced massive quantity of stuff, are the responses envying her organizational system - which is admittedly impressive to say the least - as a method to emulate to organize more of their own stuff. My own silent scream is still ringing in my ears; "NOOOOOOOOOOO NOT more stuff; get RID of it!!"

I'm wondering what your response is? I'll be back later to check in, but right now I'm going to get a bag and hunt for donations. Make that several bags...

Penny

Comments (15)

• dawnp
    12 years ago

Hahaha, Peegee.
    i saw that post a few days ago and thought no way do I want that much stuff! Way too much work!!

I often go to that forum for idea - usually just Christmas, Easter, and Fall.

I did think to myself the other day that if I really want to get my home simplified, then that is not the right forum for me to hang around. I love seasonal decorating but it results in an accumulation of "stuff".

I just went through my fall. Thanksgiving, and Halloween boxes the other day and got rid of a lot of things. I guess the best thing to do is just allow myself to have what will fit in that box - anymore than that - then it's time to purge.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

That was crazy! No one needs all that - she must not even be able to use it all - who could?!?

I just finished a purge and organization project. A car load of things was taken away to be donated. Some of it Christmas things from years ago.

It feels so good to be rid of the stuff. It was weighing me down - more than I knew.

Anyway, those images have inspired me to pick another room and purge some more. I'm starting to appreciate how we can be so much happier with less.

This stuff clutters more than our spaces. It clutters our lives, our minds ... oh my ... I'm still reeling from those photos :)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

An organized hoarder is still a hoarder....

• mustangs81
    12 years ago

That is just crazy!! And I am stressing over my excessive # of chafing dishes (8). Can you imagine the $$ spend? I'll take the money the just entertain on paper plates.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoarding

• duluthinbloomz4
    12 years ago

Other than "organized", there's not much that can be said about that! Just skimmed any text; what was this woman - some kind of party planner with an endless supply of party rental wares? Or just a dishware collector?

On first scan my thought was to let someone take most of it out for target practice or drive the U-haul up to the Godwill donation drop off dock. Can you imagine leaving all that behind for heirs or estate executors to deal with?

I do look at the Holiday Forum with some amusement. I have enough nice things with which to set a lovely table when I need to, but to change out the "tablescape" (and photograph it from every conceiveable angle) ten or twenty times a month is a bit too much for me. I obsess over the few tag end stacks of old sets of dishes that have fallen my way through my Mom or deceased relatives, etc. Perfectly good for everyday; and until the microwave crazes them badly or they break, I'll set a mismatched daily use table. But someone else's hobby or passion is... well, someone else's hobby or passion. I'm not in the position to judge if it borders on the pathological. (Although it seems like it might in this case though, doesn't it?) LOL!

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

Wow. Well, she is certainly neat and organized about it.

• OklaMoni
    12 years ago

I had to back out of there. Way to much stuff.

Moni

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Many people have collections and collect for the joy of the acquisition, whether it is dolls, postage stamps, matchbooks, Beanie Babies, or in this case, dishes.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

"Many people have collections and collect for the joy of the acquisition, whether it is dolls, postage stamps, matchbooks, Beanie Babies, or in this case, dishes."

...and flatware
    ...and napkins
    ...and napkin rings
    ...and glassware

.... etc!

• talley_sue_nyc
    12 years ago

To be fair to her, she was downsizing from a professional rentals business.

Of course, she didn't go far enough down!

But it wasn't so much a matter of accumulating in a frenzy as it was not being able to part with things.

• jannie
    12 years ago

I've been reading self-help, cleaning and organizing blogs and magazines for years. One thought that stood out "You can't organize clutter." The only way to deal with clutter is put things away where they belong and toss as much as possible on a regular basis.

• nanny98
    12 years ago

That thread scares me silly! OCD anyone!

• mommabird
    12 years ago

wow - yes, it's all put away but it is still hoarding!

• ejmoore510
    12 years ago

can't find. :(

• dawnp
    12 years ago

Here's the link EJMoore!

Here is a link that might be useful: Collection

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert