Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_mi_z5

Trouble Tossing Dresses

Julie_MI_Z5
18 years ago

Today I remembered I have a garment bag stuffed in a closet with white formal dresses from a couple years ago when I was a page at a state conference. That's about the only time in my life I'll ever wear white (I'm too pale) and (since I never plan to page again) the clothes need to go!

Why can't I toss them in the Salvation Army bag? Is it because I shopped for months looking for white dresses that didn't look bridal?? I actually like the dresses, just not in white.

Honestly, it's giving me a headache just thinking about it.

Comments (5)

• marie26
    18 years ago

Can they be dyed another color? And if the answer is yes, will you then wear the "new" dresses?

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

I bet that reluctance is twofold--the time you invested in finding them, and the money you spent on them.

Does that state conference still occur, and are there still people serving as pages who might need white formal dresses?

If so, is there any organization you can get to help you get word out to those ladies that you could pass along some dresses in size Y? E-mail makes that really easy.

If you can get ahold of whoever selects the pages or communicates with them, and explain the situation (emphasizing that it's hard to find non-bridal ones), I bet that person would think it was neat to help you move them along. Either sell them to defray your costs, or donate them.

Hey, maybe you'll start a trend w/ those page dresses!

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Marie,
    One dress is beaded, so dying probably isn't an option. The other two are dry-clean only, which probably means a professional dye job. Quite frankly, I don't need 2 more long formal dresses, so I'm not sure it's worth investing more money in them.

Talley Sue,
    Your idea could be the perfect solution! I've got a meeting on Saturday and will find out who is Page Chairman this year. I have no problem giving the dresses away money-wise.. it's just that I shopped SO LONG to find them! LOL

• marie26
    18 years ago

I think you answered your own question. You don't need white dresses and these are obvously not worth investing more money in them. I agree that Talley Sue's idea is a great solution and perhaps you will be starting a trend.

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nope. Sorry. Changed my mind. I decided I didn't want to deal with dragging out the find-a-home process any longer, and I'm taking the dresses to the Salvation Army tonight.

LOL Once I decided to fling the dresses, I didn't want them hanging around here a minute longer!!!