Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doc2379

How much space for hanging painting?

doc2379
15 years ago

I need help with Hanging pictures and paintings! No, not the actual nail in the wall, but the size of the painting on the wall. Is there a formula that will tell me when a picture or painting is too wide for the intended area? For instance, if I have a wall area between two windows that is 30 inches wide, what is the widest picture or painting that I can place between those two windows? What looks fine to my spouse looks crowded to me. I hope someone skilled in interior design can give me a general rule or formula to apply to this recurring question.

Comment (1)

• pammyfay
    15 years ago

I wouldn't go smaller than 16"-18" wide. Maybe there's a "true" formula out there, I don't know, but like you I think art should "breathe."
    Have you tried this trick? Using old wrapping paper or brown craft paper or a piece of posterboard from the $1 store, cut out the size of art you have. Tape it up; live with it for a couple of days. Then cut a smaller piece from another piece of posterboard, a few inches smaller all around, and tape that up instead. You'll see which really looks better to you. Really, it's all about what looks right to YOUR eye. Your husband may see the difference between the two or not. (Did he say, "Looks fine to me, honey! Let's watch TV"? LOL!)