Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clarosietoo

labeling in my sewing/craft room

clarosietoo
14 years ago

In my craft room, I have five drawers. Two are the sterilite plastic kind from Target. Three are in a small wooden chest of drawers. I'd like to use the same kind of label on all five but what can I use that is not permanent? Stick-on kind would work for the plastic but not for the chest. Might the kinds of metal looking raised letters you use with scrapbooking work (I'm not a scrapbooker)?

I just don't want to damage the finish on the chest should I rearrange the drawers.

Comments (9)

• ftwpoolgirl
    14 years ago

I think you run the risk of damaging the chest. However you may try using the tacky blue stuff. We used to hang posters on our walls with that stuff. Break a little piece of tacky off and it should hold your labels on and I don't think that'd mess up your chest. Then the labels could be the same...just stuck on differently.

• clarosietoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Since it's my sewing/craft room, it can be a little funky right? The room's walls are neutral but teal is the accent throughouut. What if I found some of that tacky stuff in a fun color and pressed it - in some freeform shapes - into the fronts of each drawer. Then I could press letters indicating the contents on the front of the drawer. Wonder if the tacky stuff would dry out?

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

It may dry out on top but it would still be tacky umderneath. I stuck some on the corners of a painting frame 10 years ago to keep it from going crooked. It is still tacky and easy to roll off. However I was only using a bit of the stuff. I don't know what would happen if you use a lot.

I don't think it comes in funky colors. I've only seen it in blue or white.

I would check into scrapbooking supplies at the dollar store to use to make your labels and bristol board to glue your design on to. There are interesting frames letters and stick on's there. Then you could use juat a bit of the ticky-tacky to hold them on to the chest.

• cocontom
    14 years ago

The blue stuff will leave a greasy dark spot on some things- I wouldn't trust it on something that you don't want ruined.

• calirose
    14 years ago

May I suggest a double sided acid-free tape, non permanent type, found with artist/photo supplies. Sorry I can't direct you to a specific supplier, we used it when I worked at a framing shop.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I just thought of a solution where you won't have to tape on the drawer front at all and would be colorful. Use a wide ribbon. Tape one end just over the lip of the drawer front on the inside of the drawer. Tape the other end just under the bottom lip. Then you can glue on letters or staple or pin on cards or mark with a permanent marker. Measure the ribbon and decide what you want to do. Do your glueing or pinning and especially use the permanent marker. Let everything dry and then tape it on

• clarosietoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oil painter - I'm going shopping tomorrow. That will be so cute and fun. I'll post pics whenever I finish.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

Post Its makes labels now.

http://www.3m.com/us/office/postit/labels/

• xantippe
    14 years ago

Janet, those look really interesting. I wonder how well they stick?