Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

need cupboard with doors for organizing sons therapy items

illinigirl
17 years ago

We are relocating bedrooms and my sons current therapy room to plan for our new baby coming in May. Right now he has an exclusive therapy room so we just lock the door so he doesn't get in and disorganize things. Due to the need for the bedroom we are going to combine his therapy room with the largest kids bedroom in the house.

So I need a good storage solution for all his therapy items (which consist of a lot of different toys, cards, some dry food items, various household items, etc.). Each subsection needs to be in some kind of sterilite lidded box, but then those need to be put in a cupboard or locker style storage unit that has doors that can be locked (I can probably achieve the locking with a simple child safety device). As long as the storage unit is deep enough to accomodate the sterilite boxes (so maybe 15-18" deep) and has doors with handles. I may need two of these side by side and they can probably be about 5feet high or a little taller.

I looked briefly at Container store but no luck. Any ideas for me?

thanks so much

IG

Comments (8)

• elisamcs
    17 years ago

Have you looked at the IKEA Pax system? They can be customized many different ways, and just might suit you.

• liz_h
    17 years ago

The IKEA tall kitchen cabinets would work also. They are 24" deep, though a bit less on the inside. They come in widths from 15" to 30".

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA tall kitchen cab

• liz_h
    17 years ago

come to think of it, Lowes & Home Depot have something similar in stock. It may be part of the Closet Maid line.

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

I would do some searching under cubbies and school organizers or pre-school furniture.

This type can close and has a hasp for locking. They come in several different sizes.

You might be able to find something and have a local carpenter make it or adapt something else. We found the pressboard storage cabinets from the local big box store to work very well and we attached a lock. The smooth brown ones can be painted to match any room.

Gloria

Here is a link that might be useful: cubbies

• talley_sue_nyc
    17 years ago

If you have a local unfinished-furniture place, that might be your best bet--basically, you just need a bookcase w/ doors. Or, if anyone you know (or can hire) is remotely handy, if you can find a 18"-deep bookcase, they could cut plywood into doors and attach w/ hinges (you can buy iron-on edgebanding for the cut plywood edges; it's very easy to apply).

You might also be sure you've considered all orientations for those Sterilite boxes--I sometimes forget I can turn them sideways as well as end-in.

If you know someone in the building trades, they could help you order ready-to-assemble custom cabinets quite inexpensively at CabParts.com.

Best of luck!

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks everyone! great ideas. I love the IKEA one but it's too tall (the big bedroom has dormered ceilings, i think that is what you call it?). Lots of possibilities for us though. Appreciate all the input.
    IG

• talley_sue_nyc
    17 years ago

I forgot to mention--there's a company that makes "ready to assemble" cabinets to CUSTOM sizes and is apparently not too expensive (when compared to kitchen-cabinet manufacturers). Folks over at the Kitchens forum have had good experiences w/ them.

Scherrs.com

They do mostly kitchen cabinets, but they also do wall units, etc. It's basic carpentry, and they don't care what the size is.

You can buy them unfinished, or finished.

They come flat in a box for you to assemble (it isn't very hard, apparently), and can therefore be shipped almost anywhere. The company is in D.C., so shipping closer to them might be cheaper.

It's really easy to get a bid from them.

• maddiemom6
    17 years ago

Home depot... Four Seasons line of premade kitchen panteries.... 6 feet tall.. and about 24 inches wide.

Maddie

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville