Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Do you take 'before' pictures?

alisande
18 years ago

Maybe it's because I've never been far from a camera my whole life, but I find photographing my mess to be the best way to open my eyes to the reality of the situation.

My pantry is one example. It's a room off the kitchen with three walls (no door), and since I have very little storage in my house a variety of things find their way to the pantry. There's food on the shelves, of course, and books, catalogs, office supplies, a few gardening products, vitamins, and lots more. On the floor you can find wine, a bale of cedar shavings for the doghouse, a couple of file cabinets, and two vacuum cleaners, and who knows what else.

As we often do, I stopped noticing how much stuff I had brought into the pantry. I was aware that it was "getting a little crowded in there" as I moved in and out, but I didn't really SEE it until tonight. When I realized I had no more than a narrow path in and out of the pantry, I knew it had gotten way out of hand. I grabbed my camera, and looked through the lens. Yikes! As I snapped pictures, I broke down the mess into sectionsÂa corner here, a pile there. There was so much! :-(

As pictures, they are shocking. But I've been through this before. I know when I've cleaned up the mess and reorganized my pantry (and it'll certainly take a while!), I'll be able to look at these pictures and feel a great sense of satisfaction.

Have you done this?

Susan

Comments (13)

• Julie_MI_Z5
    18 years ago

No, absolutely not! I don't want to see proof of a mess. In fact, when I take pictures I always make sure the background is a decluttered area, LOL.

• maddiemom6
    18 years ago

I get it... sort of like having that AWFUL but sweet fat picture of me on the door of the fridge... it reminds me not to stuff my face!... it's sad really... it's a wonderful picture of my youngest son and we both look very happy but all i can see is how fat my face looks!

maddiemom

• stephanie_in_ga
    18 years ago

Yeah, it could work. I often tell people close to me that changing my house keeping ways is like losing weight. You have to do it for yourself, not for someone else. You have to see how it will make your life better. And crash cleaning won't help, the mess will just come back. It's a lifestyle change. So, maddiemom, I think it could work like the fat picture on the frig! I should take a pic of DD's room now (she's 6, and it's not just a mess, it's a project). I plan to fix it this weekend (hold me to that). Then I can remind her and myself both not to let it get like this again.

• alisande
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Julie, I do the same thingÂwhen I'm taking pictures that others will see! I'm very strict about getting a nice background....which is often difficult-to-impossible in this house. That's why most of my portraits are taken on the porch. :-)

• teacats
    18 years ago

Well -- in magazines, books and on TV -- think of how effective the "Before-and-After" pictures are!!!

For example -- watching shows like Clean House or Clean Sweep or Mission Organization -- it is amazing to see the differences!!

Of course I do like the owners' reactions -- always "gets" me when the MAN cries (seen that several times on Clean House and lots of times on Clean Sweep)!!!

I fgure if the MAN cries over the changes ----- sheesh!! thats when you know he is really pleased and thankful! (and maybe tired too!!!!)

• alisande
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I fgure if the MAN cries over the changes ----- sheesh!! thats when you know he is really pleased and thankful! (and maybe tired too!!!!)

Or maybe drunk? LOL

I haven't seen these shows, so I suppose it's not fair for me to comment...and insult these poor guys. :-)

• teacats
    18 years ago

Truly -- these guys seem so overwelmed by the incredible changes --- one episode showed a guy weeping because the dining room had been completely re-done -- and they could have family dinners at the table!

Another wept because the team finally made "room" for him in the house -- he didn't feel welcome before that!

Another wept over the changes to his artists studio -- literally he finally had room (and a huge worktable) to create.

Another wept at the changes in his home office -- his collections were displayed BUT there was still room for both him and his wife to work at desks.

Those kind of episodes really really "get" me ..... yes -- I get a little choked up at the endings.

• alisande
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That does sound moving--and inspiring! What are the wives during while all this is going on (assuming the guys are married)?

I don't have cable, so I miss some good stuff. (And some not-so-good stuff.) ;-)

• teacats
    18 years ago

Sometimes the wives cried too -- because the husbands were so moved by the changes!

Some are so taken aback by the changes that they can hardly speak -- much to their own amazement!

I would dearly love to see "update shows" by Clean House, Clean Sweep or Mission Organization --- to see if the owners could keep up with the changes AND to hear how those changes had affected their lives at home.

• intherain
    18 years ago

Susan, YES, I do this and it's VERY effective! In fact, I did it here on this forum last year. I posted a picture of my very messy master closet and told everyone what my plan was for the morning. I then posted my after picture. It was fun comparing the two! I've found that I can see so much more when it's in a picture - that's when I notice the clutter. So taking a before picture is very helpful in decluttering. I like to sit and analyze it.

Sheryl

• foxykitten350234
    18 years ago

I guess it is obvious that I have taken up the habit of taking before pictures.lol You know what? It has helped me. A couple of days ago when I went to work on my biggest disaster project, I walked into that room and felt overwhelmed. I felt like the battle was not worth it...that I was getting nowhere! When I looked at my before picture I could see the progress I had made and it inspired me to keep plugging away at that project. Before pictures are great! During pictures are also helpful. I found I was inspired even more when I showed my progress to everyone here and read the responses. It is like having cheerleaders on the sidelines to pick you up when you feel like throwing in the towel. I want proof of the mess! I want proof that I made the mess go away:)

Here is the funny thing about my before picture. I have it stored in my open to the public photo album. Whenever a picture in that album is posted somewhere it goes to the top of the page. Long before I ever posted it, one day all of the sudden it popped up to the top of my page. This means someone, and it wasn't me, posted that dreadful picture somewhere.lol I could be upset that my horrible mess went on display, but instead I just started laughing and wondering why.

Foxy.

• sheriz6
    18 years ago

I take before, during and after pictures of construction or renovation projects, I never thought to do so for a room decluttering project. I may try it, it might help in the kids' rooms, I can get pretty discouraged in there.

The *best* before picture I ever used was a photo of me that a friend sent after a formal affair. She thought I'd like to have it since everyone was all dressed up and it was a rare photo of the group of us together. All I saw was how many chins I had, LOL. It inspired me to drop 20 pounds, and I'm forever grateful!

• Sandys_Garden
    18 years ago

alisande, I think that is a great idea. Come to think of it - every single picture I've taken over the years have had something out of place in them.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville