Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchwashing

trash can liner storage

toomuchwashing
16 years ago

Does any one else do this?

After years of having to constantly wash out the kitchen trash can because no one could walk a few steps into the garage to retrieve the plastic liner and put another trash bag in; I finally started putting the whole roll at the bottom of the kitchen trash can. Now when they (all males) take out the trash, they can easily put a new trash bag in. You would have thought I discovered television because they were all amazed. But at least it worked. Next time I'll install a trash compactor.

Comments (15)

• Carol_from_ny
    16 years ago

You'd still have to put the bag in the bottom of the container even with a trash compactor if you wanted them to replace it.I speak from experience.
    I've gone so far as to put the liners for the wastepaper baskets in the bottom of the can too.

• Adella Bedella
    16 years ago

I tried that one time. The liners got thrown away.

• western_pa_luann
    16 years ago

I've been doing that for ages...
    my kids thought everyone did the same and were flabbergasted when they found out otherwise.

• claire_de_luna
    16 years ago

Yes, it really works!

I learned a couple of years ago about storing items in the places you use them. For example, I reorganized my dishes/pantry items to go in certain places (cereal bowls/spoons/fruit on the counter/next to the fridge) and call that a breakfast bar. Once you figure it out (point of use) it makes so much sense, doesn't it?

• marie26
    16 years ago

I line the can with 2 bags just in case the top one leaks. I keep the bags under the kitchen sink which is near the trash can.

• jaybird
    16 years ago

I recycle store bags for our kitchen trash, and keep them in an old feed sack from a mill in the town where my DH was born! It makes us both smile!!

• socks
    16 years ago

Toomuch, that's a very good idea. I'm going to try it. It will free up a space on the shelf too.

• gayle0000
    16 years ago

LOL! I had to do that for my ex-H, but I had to take it 1 step further. Leaving the roll in the bottom was not enough. I had to rip off a few so they were loose & ready to go...no unrolling. For some reason, unrolling was too much effort for him.

• Maura63
    16 years ago

I first "discovered" this method 25 years ago when I was teaching kindergarten -- I noticed that the custodian (a woman) would keep spare bags in the bottom of the classroom trash can, and I thought this was genius!

I don't keep the whole roll underneath (too bulky), but I do keep several there at a time.

And lucky you, toomuchwashing, that your family follows though with relining the garbage can!

• groomingal
    16 years ago

I do that too- DH is really good about putting the liner back in now. I also save the department store plastic bags. I fold them in half, then fold again, and roll them up. It only takes a second. I store all of them in a plastic baby wipe container.

• Irish2
    16 years ago

I also discovered this a few years ago.
    I don't put the whole roll...just 3-4
    I have the double roll out trash bins.

• cynic
    16 years ago

For me, they leaked way too often (or something would go down the side - between the bag and the container) and I'd have to throw out all the bags in the bottom, since I wasn't going to wash them, so I quit doing it altogether. I don't see what the problem is with getting a bag. Have them on a shelf right next to the wastebasket so I don't even have to bend over to dig it out of the bottom of the garbage... can. And since bending over is more of a challenge now, I wouldn't go back to trying it again for the kitchen, but I might give it a try on the small wastebaskets in the bathroom and the like.

• molly101
    16 years ago

I use to store the liners in the bottom until one day I had a bag leak. What a mess it made all over the new bags and what a pain it was trying to wipe them all off.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

Cynic, and others who have trouble w/ the bag slipping down inside the trash can:

I bought jumbo rubber bands designed for keeping the bags in place.

The Container Store had one that's just like a ponytail holder, but I haven't seen it there since. They *DO* have jumbo actual rubber bands ( a tad thicker); these are very durable. I'm still on the third one from the package--and we change our trash 1 to 3 times a day.

I can't find them on the website, but I saw them at the store.

And office-supply stores sell "trash bands" designed for office wastebaskets--7"--that might work.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I found the "Band It" and it's made just like a ponytail holder.