Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommabird_gw

Jan - organing challenge #1

mommabird
11 years ago

I've decided to tackle some organing projects throughout this year. I thought it would be fun to issue a challenge for each.

#1. Match up every pair of socks in your house. Throw away strays.

I did this yesterday. I emptied EVERY sock in the house into the middle of the living room - mine plus 3 kids. I sorted until I'd matched up every pair then put them all away. I had a plastic grocery bag full of strays. Those went into the trash. Some of them were strays I'd saved for five years hoping the mate would show up.

My son said, "Mom, what if the mate shows up after the trash man comes?" I said "Then we'll throw it away, too!" OUT with the clutter!

Comments (10)

• justdoinmything
    11 years ago

I have a great idea for your single socks or holey ones you can't wear anymore. Just use them for dusting or polishing and then throw them out when done.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

I'll look forward to your challenges, mommabird!

I got this one though.....

• skywatcher
    11 years ago

Just decluttered my socks last week. I'd placed a sack in my sock basket about 6 MONTHS AGO for the project and decided I'd procrastinated long enough. Took about a half hour and besides getting all pairs matched and inventoried, also generated a sack of socks for our church's homeless ministry. Trashed a lot of pantyhose, too!

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Ha- I'll save a stray a week or so on a shelf above the dryer but if it's mate doesn't show up it's toast. They don't go back to our drawers unless they are matched.

Course there's just me and the hub- if I had three kids I don't know what I'd do!

• jannie
    11 years ago

When I'm sorting laundry to put it away, I throw any unmatched socks under my bed in one corner. About every 3 months, I match up anything I can and chuck the rest.

• CmpltDoll
    11 years ago

When my kids were little, we did this as a family once a month or so and we called it a 'Sock Party'. ;o)

Great memories!!

• ChloeP
    11 years ago

I use stray ones for dusting too! My kids use some to make hand puppets and the rest get thrown away.

• talley_sue_nyc
    11 years ago

OK, I'll do this one.

I was about to say that it's probably not my most urgent project, but you know what? It probably is!

(However, I don't think I'm going to do my DH's socks--he's on his own. As is DD.)

However, I *will* keep the strays that are part of the collection--I buy a huge collection of socks that are exactly alike.

• houseful
    11 years ago

Hi there!

Been a GW member a long time, but for some reason I ventured to this forum today. The timing could not have been more perfect!! Socks are taking over the house! I am going to have a "sock party" and get this done once and for all!

Thanks, Mammabird!

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

funny
    I just got all my house socks organized and in a basket. These are the colorful heavy duty ones you see at Chritmas time I dont wear shoes around the house just these. Next I'm going into the dresser drawers andweed out all the ones I haven't worn for years