Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Annual Paperwork storage

Posted by lukkiirish (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 9, 10 at 17:31

Hello everyone! We're reorganizing our office a bit, and since it's that time of the year again, I thought I'd see if anyone would like to share their cost effective ways to store their bills and annual paperwork.

For personal reasons I don't want to just access our information on line, I like getting hard copies of all our statements and so on. So what do you store your important stuff in? Any good tips or ideas that can save either money or space?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Annual Paperwork storage

One thing I do is keep only a year's worth of any paper statement I want to keep in the filing unit (I use something that looks like a milk crate but is made of metal, and you can stack a few and buy the rolling base if wanted; I had a 2-drawer metal filing cabinet once, but I like being able to roll the metal crate thingie over to where I'm sitting and work from there). If I think I need to keep older ones, they go in a cardboard filing box in the back of the closet.

Also, I checked a few online sites to see what financial organizers (like Suze Orman) say about how long you should keep certain things, and I dumped a lot of old records that really I hadn't needed to look at for years anyway, like utility bills, some credit card statements for since-closed accounts, etc.

And I was keeping a lot of sales receipts for items over a certain amount of money. I scanned them and put them on my own computer (and I backed it up with a portable hard drive). Many of those receipts were starting to fade, anyway. Scanning more of your documents could be a good move for you, too.

o
RE: Annual Paperwork storage

That is a great idea Pammyfaye, thanks. I too want the flexibility to move whatever I use around. Not so sure I could do away with all my bill copies though. It seems I'm always going to back to look at one thing or another and it comes in handy having them in the closet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here