Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MAJOR basement purge!

Posted by mommabird (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 17:14

After 21 years in the same house, I am finally finishing the front half of the basement into a rec room/TV room. I am so excited I can barely sleep at night!

The most exciting part is that I had to get rid of tons of junk in order to be able to do it. I've posted over 100 items to FreeCycle & had them picked up. I donated 20 large lawn/leaf bags of stuff to the Volunteers of American thrift store. I called city trask Bulk Pickup & had a mountain of stuff that was just trash. The "pickers" took about half before the city trash came.

It has been so freeing to release this J-U-N-K! I feel 50 lbs lighter (even if I don't look it!). I've extended the purge to the rest of the house, and taken another carload of stuff to Volunteers plus continue to post things to Freecycle three or four times a week.

I got rid of my 20 year old ski equipment, and treated myself to new skis for Christmas. I got rid of all skis & boots my boys have outgrown. I also got rid of sports equipment they have outgrown or for sports they have given up. I got rid of gadgets that seemed like a good idea but never really worked - like the Shark steamer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MAJOR basement purge!

Good for you!!!

I did that when I was selling a house once. It makes you wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

We had a garage sale where we sold some things, but in addition we lined up stuff all along the edge of the driveway. I put signs that said "Yes, really, it's free. Take it!"

I also did the freecycle thing. I had a long list of things and had people tell me which they wanted. It was liberating.

o

mommabird, I've followed your saga for years now. You are inspiring, and I'm happy for you.

o

hooray!!

Isn't it amazing how that stuff can accumulate? I know you had extra stuff in your house, more than most of us, but the stuff you listed is stuff I'd have ended up just "not having gotten around to" getting rid of.

Good for you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here