Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooke909

Pantry Help

brooke909
18 years ago

I have a closet in my kitchen that measures approximately 22" wide by 32" deep. It has seven shelves installed, the deepest of which is about 23". I am forever "losing" things to the nether reaches, or finding myself pulling out container after container and bottle after bottle to reach the can of peaches somewhere in there in the back. Does anyone have any brilliant (or otherwise) ideas about shelving I might install that would solve this design dilemma? Oh, I should mention the door opening is only about 17" and I have racks mounted on the inside of the door to hold boxes of baggies, foil, plastic wrap, and vitamins and medications, so there is not a lot of front-facing wiggle room.

Comments (5)

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

You need pullouts.

And you need to space them very closely; maybe even lay canned goods, etc., on their sides, so you can read the labels.

Bcs, since you can pull the entire shelf out, and lift the object straight up, you won't need to reach in OVER anything. And by eliminating that headroom and making room for an additional shelf (maybe even 2 extra), you can make up for any lost space behind the door frame. that won't be usable anymore.

Here's a website of a place that sells them custom-made for not a huge amount of money--$30 to $55 per shelf; thought you should SPLURGE AND GET THE FULL-EXTENSION GLIDES! You wil NEVER regret that expenditure, but you will regret it if you don't. The full-extension slides will be crucial to the idea of spacing the shelves closely.

; once you look at HOW they're made, you might be able to get a handyman-style husband or friend to make them for you cheaper (though not that much cheaper, probably)

www.shelvesthatslide.com

SPLURGE AND GET THE FULL-EXTENSION GLIDES!!

You will be REALLY, REALLY, REALLY glad you did.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shelves That Slide

• shirleyinadirondacks
    18 years ago

TalleySue has the right idea, but there is an alternative to buying the sliders. Your opening is quite narrow, so that would cause probs with the pull outs. what I did, cause I'm chronically short of cash, is use some baking pans(13x9)and filled them with the items in the cupboards. Now I just pull out the pan and there is no trouble grabbing what I need

• brooke909
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much, both of you! The baking pans are brilliant and money-saving, but the pullout shelving sounds like a very wise investment. I've checked the website and am very impressed by the appearance and testimonials. Now to bring it up before the judge and jury (non-handy, thrifty husband)...

• stephanie_in_ga
    18 years ago

Just off the top of my head, maybe you could do a variation on a lazy susan sort of thing. With the round board they use for a table=top lazy susan, you might be able to put them on shelves in the cabinet, to rotate to get to what you want and see everything.

Just a thought, for whatever it's worth.

• wantoretire_did
    18 years ago

I would kill for a pantry......

Carol