Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cell Phone Clutter

Posted by lissa_z9b (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 3, 10 at 16:15

I'm not talking about clutter ON one's cell phone. I'm talking about cell phones and accessories themselves. Because I use my cell phone constantly for business, I have a tendency to beat them up. However, I have mixed feelings about getting rid of them.

On occassion, I've had to revert to an old cell phone while a new one is being repaired, not to mention that my teenager has used old phones when he's killed one of his.

So my question is this: How do you store old cell phones and their accessorie? In the boxes they came in (which I do keep)? In some other manner, like zip lock bags? Is there a good way to dispose of them where your personal information isn't vulnerable to some stranger?

Do you have a time line for getting rid of old phones? Should I keep the old ones for other users?

If it makes any difference, I'm on AT&T which uses SIM cards to store information, but the phones themselves hold information as well. I'm thinking things like phone numbers and email information for contacts. I'd hate for any of that to be available to someone if I donated the phone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cell Phone Clutter

We have some spares, stored in zip-lock bags with their chargers.

I don't worry about personal info, because I keep the phone numbers stored on the memory card instead of "in the phone" (the phone's separate non-removable memory). When I remove it, the info comes with.

o

AT&T phones are supposed to work with the memory card as well, but it's not 100% foolproof. I switched from a Blackberry to the iPhone last year but can still pull up numbers and email addresses on the Blackberry even without the SIM card in the phone. :(

I think the spares are nice to have, but don't think I need to keep every cell phone I've ever owned. Maybe I should take them into the store and see if they can wipe the memory on the ones I'd like to I don't want to keep.

o

If I am saving it, I keep everything in a plastic bag.

You can sometimes give away the battery or accessories on freecycle or the craigslist cell phone forum.

o

Pull the memory card, and donate them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phones for Soldiers

o

I sometimess see a box in my public library, asking for donations of old cell phones, with their charges, for battered women. This seems to be legitimate. I know one of my DDs currently has 2 oll Sidekick model phones in her closet. She went to AT&T and got an Iphone. That'S her business.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here